Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

update slicer with visualization click

I am relatively new to Power BI and have been leveraging as many resources as I can to bring myself up to speed quickly. This is an amazing tool to use for visualizations but it definitely has restrictions that I'm working through. Currently, I am looking for a way to make the slicers on my report automatically update when another visualization is clicked (i.e. single bar on a bar chart). I have edited my interactions so that the slicers are set to filter on changes from the bar chart, but the selections in the slicers still do not update. If I make a change to another slicer, it works fine.

An example of what I am trying to accomplish is as such:

• A bar chart displays the total # of department stores in each city within a particular region.
  • A slicer contains the store names
  • When I click on a city in the bar chart, the slicer should dynamically update to reflect only the stores that are available in that region

Any thoughts of how to make this happen? If it is not a feature already available, is there possibly a workaround through scripting?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

The requirement that to update the slicer according to the selection in another visualization is not achievable. Interaction filters doesn't work from visualization to slicer. For this feature request, you could submit an idea at this page.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response Yuliana. I must admit that I am more than a little surprised that such basic functionality has not been considered before now in such a powerful tool. Seeing my objective, to be able to filter across pages using visualizations, is there a way that this can be done? My whole objective with updating a slicer with the visualization click is so that the slicer would then dynamically update another page that contains the supporting data for my dashboard. Is this feasible with Power BI, or should I abandon Power BI and look for another solution?

Thanks again
APMer

Hi @Anonymous,

My whole objective with updating a slicer with the visualization click is so that the slicer would then dynamically update another page that contains the supporting data for my dashboard. Is this feasible with Power BI, or should I abandon Power BI and look for another solution?

You can enable the sync slicer across report pages following this document.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.