Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AuraCorp

up arrow / show a shape based on a formula

Hi all. 

I just want to show a shap (in this case a green arrow) based on a comparision between two numbers. 

24 REPLIES 24
ruthpozuelo
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Hi,

You can also use Cambria Math symbols to display the arrows.

up arrow.png

Using a similar example smoupre gave you, the formula would look like: 

Key = IF([Rank Trend]>-1,"⇧", "⇩")

key.png

You can copy the arrows directly from this thread into power bi.

/Ruth

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,
Thanks for your contribution to the Community , I am learning and enjoying it because of you guys.
I have tried the KPI indicators using ruthpozuelo  method as well as smoupre, I was able to use Unicode symbols in both Table and Matrix , Since I needed coloured arrows I was working with Image url's also, But it was not working as expected for me in Matrix.

Any workaround for this? I have shared a sample published link for your understanding.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNDk5MDhjMzYtOGMxMi00ZjM5LWEzNzktZTkwY2M0NzdmMDU4IiwidCI6IjY2N...

Regards

ravsha85, can you share us your desktop file?

Thanks, I think this is the right solution

Hi

I have a problem finding the solution to this question.

Can anybody help ?

Kr / Per Hunosøe

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There currently is no ability to edit interactions with shape visualizations or, to my knowledge, any kind of "conditionality" that you can have on shape visuals.

You could potentially get there with a custom column and a related table. What I am thinking of would be a table with your shapes loaded as images (URLs) along with something like an associated number or something, 1, 2, 3. You could have a custom column that based upon the comparison of two numbers, resulted in 1, 2, 3. IF([comparison]>xx,1,2) something like that. Then place the image in a table or card and filter it based upon the item selected. Obviously, I don't know anything about your data and this potential solution would only work in specific circumstances.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

So how could we show the difference between two figures? 

@AuraCorp - Can you provide a little more information on what you are trying to accomplish? I'm not following what you are trying to do.

Latest book!:

Yes of course.

I am trying to migrate an existing excel dashboard to power BI.

In this dashboard we show the current score and compare then to the previous score. We do not show the previous score but use a formula to compare them.

The formula we use results in either a p or a q. I then use wingdings 3 to convert the p’s and q’s into up and down arrows and then use conditional formatting to make the font red or green.

The other solution we have is to use VBA showing an up arrow and hiding the down or vice a versa based on a formula.

I know arrows our a little old hat but my clients like them

Thanks in advance.

@AuraCorp - OK, here is what I did, see if something like this will work for you:

Values Table

Value 1,Value2

Keys Table

Key,Image

p,https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Urban_Meyer_vs_Michigan%2C_2013.jpg

q,https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Luke_Fickell_in_2014.jpg

Formated Image as Image URL

In Values, create new custom column:

Key = IF([Value 1]-[Value 2]<20,"q","p")

Relate Key to Key table

Simple table visualization shown below:

keys.png

"p" is Urban Meyer, "q" is Luke Fickell

So, if you have a red down arrow or green up arrow that you can point to online this might fit the bill.

Latest book!:

HI, @Greg_Deckler

how did you manage to get your picture URL display as image.

I used matrix to create a table. but when use the image URL as VALUES, it's still dispaying as URL not the actual image, i have applied the set the column to be "Image URL" as for the Data Category.

IMAGE quetsion for powerBI.png

I read from other post where it will work for ROWS but not values, i have tried that it's the fact for me. can you please let me know how did you make the image to display and it's a value of the table please?

thanks,

Vida

VidaLi
Frequent Visitor

instead of Matrix, you have to use use tables to be able to display the image. Matrix doesn't work. 

Thanks,

Vida

HI, @Greg_Deckler

how did you manage to get your picture URL display as image.

I used matrix to create a table. but when use the image URL as VALUES, it's still dispaying as URL not the actual image, i have applied the set the column to be "Image URL" as for the Data Category.

IMAGE quetsion for powerBI.png

I read from other post where it will work for ROWS but not values, i have tried that it's the fact for me. can you please let me know how did you make the image to display and it's a value of the table please?

thanks,

Vida

Hi 

How did you format the image url? I get just a link when i do it?

Thanks

Alexander

Hi

I have a problem finding the solution to this question.

Can anybody help ?

Kr / Per Hunosøe

Go to Modelling tab and select the table column in which URL is present. On the top there is a 'Data Category' dropdown. Select Image URL in it. You should see images when you return to report.

Thanks,

Raja

Hi Alexander,
It is not an image but a symbol within a DAX measure.
Maybe this helps:
https://youtu.be/7oCygwn75tQ
/Ruth

Hi Thanks Ruth! I actually managed to do it both ways via your way and also through linking an image to them with different colours,

Luckily we can now import KPI's from SSAS and PowerPivot to make things a bit easier!!

Great! Glad it worked! I am still waiting for native KPIs in power bi...
Have a great evening 🙂
/Ruth

I Know right , also cant wait until they let you change the axis size as well xD My bosses profusley moan at me for not being able to make it readable to stick a snapshot in a slide!

Hopefully the basics will come eventually!

Have a good evening too

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.