Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

undefined

Hello there,

I am stuck trying to incorporate one of the requirements asked by my boss. We have a Max_Time criteria table; which is essentially - If the order is sold at the exact time of the hour (eg: 11:00 or 5:00), then Max_Hour = that exact time (11:00 or 5:00). But if the exact time is say 11:15 or 5:59, then Max_Hour = Hour -1 (10:00 or 4:00).

image.png

As you can see from the table above. 

Now here's where it get's tricky -

We have the table which compares 2019 actuals (querying the database) vs. BGT (Excel sheet) vs. LY (Querying the database) and for the daily updates, should follow the max_hour rule. So if the time is 2:35pm right now and the latest order we had was at 1:30 pm, the max_hour is 12 and the values should be until the max_hour (12) only. The data is pulling all the data until 2:35pm.

I added a calculated column Max_hour_criteria = IF(Ord_hour <=Max_Hour, "Y", "N") which gives me the right logic for TODAY(). But, if I want to see the montly comparisons, it removes the late night values. eg - if the last order had a max_time of 11:30pm or even 11:59pm, the Max_Hour logic would take the values only until 10:00pm. So almost 2 hours data is not shown.

Cannot individually change the Measures - 2019, BGT and 2018 because there's a circular dependency since all the IF statements have IF(Ord_Date = TODAY()).image.png

Kindly help me with this issue so I can resolve my data. I am thankful for your time.

Thanks!

@MFelix  @Greg_Deckler  @Zubair_Muhammad  @parry2k 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys,

I solved it. Thank you for your time! 

If anyone is curious - I was using calculated columns before so I was getting circular dependencies. 

I used the measures -

Max Hour Logic = IF(Max hour <= Max time, "Y", "N")

2019 = IF((MAXX('Table','Table'[Ord_Date])=TODAY()),CALCULATE(SUMX('Table','Table'[demand]),'Table'[Max Hour logic]="Y"),CALCULATE(SUMX('Table','Table'[demand])))

2018 = IF((maxx('Table','Table'[Ord_Date])<TODAY()),calculate(sumx('Table','Table'[LY $])),CALCULATE(sumx('Table','Table'[LY $]),'Table'[Max Hour Logic]="Y"))

BGT = IF((maxX(''Table','Table'[Ord_Date])<Today()),CALCULATE(Sumx('Table',[Budget])),CALCULATE(Sumx('Table',[Budget]),'Table'[Max Hour Logic]="Y"))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys,

I solved it. Thank you for your time! 

If anyone is curious - I was using calculated columns before so I was getting circular dependencies. 

I used the measures -

Max Hour Logic = IF(Max hour <= Max time, "Y", "N")

2019 = IF((MAXX('Table','Table'[Ord_Date])=TODAY()),CALCULATE(SUMX('Table','Table'[demand]),'Table'[Max Hour logic]="Y"),CALCULATE(SUMX('Table','Table'[demand])))

2018 = IF((maxx('Table','Table'[Ord_Date])<TODAY()),calculate(sumx('Table','Table'[LY $])),CALCULATE(sumx('Table','Table'[LY $]),'Table'[Max Hour Logic]="Y"))

BGT = IF((maxX(''Table','Table'[Ord_Date])<Today()),CALCULATE(Sumx('Table',[Budget])),CALCULATE(Sumx('Table',[Budget]),'Table'[Max Hour Logic]="Y"))

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Sorry, i'm not clear about your Max_Time criteria.

The Max_Time criteria table seems inconsistent with your Max_Time criteria.

Best Regards
Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie ,

Let me try to explain the criteria with examples -

I have four orders placed today (05/31/2019) at 2:01 AM, 3:00 AM, 4:30 PM, 9:59 PM. These are the max_hour for the orders.

I created another column just selecting the start of the hour from the max_hour above - start_hour

The criteria is - If max_hour = start_hour then max_hour

If max_hour <> start_hour then Hour - 1.

So, for the above examples, the max_hour criteria would make - 1:00AM, 3:00AM, 3:00PM, 8:00PM.

My table showing the values for actuals vs. bgt vs. LY should show values only until 1:00am, 3am, 3pm and 8pm respectively. Not the values until 2:01am, 4:30pm, 9:59pm.

Thanks,

J

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I have figured out how to get the values with this logic for 2019 and BGt. 

calculated columns -

2019 = IF( Ord_date = TODAY(), CALCULATE(SUM(Table, demand),Max_Hour_critera = "Y"),CALCULATE(SUM(Demand)))

BGT = IF( Maxx(Ord_Date < TODAY()),CALCULATE(SUMX(Budget)),CALCULATE(SUMX(BUDGET,Max_hour_criteria = "Y"))

Can't seem to figure out for 2018. I would be much obliged if you could help me for the same.

For 2018, I tried -

2018 = IF(Ord_date <> Today(), Calculate(SUM(LY $)), CALCULATE(SUM(LY $),MAx_Hour_Criteria = "Y"))

But I am getting circular dependency between 2018 and 2019 when I try to do that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.