Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JimB-GA
Helper III
Helper III

unable to reference a field from a table

Hello all,

I am pretty new to Power BI and am on a steep learning curve.  I have a table that I cannot reference in a measure.  I can create measures successfully referencing every other table.  For example:

I have a table I have named "Current"

Trade Time	Last	Change	% Change	Open	High	Low	Volume	T1	TIme
1547758619	262.81	1.8299866	0.701198	260.01	263.915	259.96	77,245,081	17913.6646050926	01/17/2019 03:57:01 PM

I am attempting to create a new measure in another table that references the "Last" field in table "Current" but when I look for the available field [Last] I cannot find it.

Is there some naming reference that I need to add to show this table and field in creating a new measure?

Thanks to all for your help.

JimB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JimB-GA

You cannot reference a "naked" column within a measure. In a measure there is no row context so the engine does not know what row you are referring to. Have a look at this and or this

I would also stick to always using fully qualified names for columns, i.e. TableName[ColumName] instead of just [ColumnName]. The latter is best reserved for referring to measures:  [Measure]

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
UI
Frequent Visitor

error, canot find column name .

can anyone help me

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @JimB-GA

Can you show the code where you get the problem and the error message?

Can you, ideally, share the pbix indicating where the problem is?

Hi, and thanks for reply. I cannot reference a field from one table to another in calculation.

My objective is to create a measure Total_Cost =[Last] (from Current table)-[New Price] (from Transactions

When I attempt to insert Measure  =[Last] in the 'Transactions' table, the error reads 

"The value for 'last' cannot be determined.  Either 'last' doesn't exist or there is no current row for a column named 'last'.

I have inserted link to file Test.PBIX in dropbox to illustrate. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z585zgpfbtraiyc/test.pbix?dl=0

Thanks

Jim

Thanks so much for this solution.  Works like a charn..

Jim

Hi @JimB-GA

If you want to create a measure,you may use SUM Function as below.Total_Cost=SUM('current'[Last])-SUM(Transactions[New Price]).If it is not your case,please explain more about your expected output.

Measure = SUM('current'[Last])

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@JimB-GA

You cannot reference a "naked" column within a measure. In a measure there is no row context so the engine does not know what row you are referring to. Have a look at this and or this

I would also stick to always using fully qualified names for columns, i.e. TableName[ColumName] instead of just [ColumnName]. The latter is best reserved for referring to measures:  [Measure]

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.