Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

unable to install latest release of Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I've downloaded the latest version for Power BI desktop on my windows 10 laptop.

I've tried using both X86 and X64 setup files. However, Power BI setup fails to initiate and doesn't throw any error.

I've also tried installing Power BI from Microsoft store. However, I get not so helpful error as shown below -

PBI error.PNG

I've tried restarting my laptop couple of times but that has not helped either.

Please advise!

Thanks in Advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@omooba, My problem was related to the .NET version. I'd to update the .NET version to make the installer work.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
omooba
Regular Visitor

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/power-bi-designer/message-id/371624

So i found a workaround, check out this tread - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unable-to-Install-Power-BI-Desktop/m-p/776436#M374007

I installed a previous version successfully but wasnt able to update

Version installed - 2.70.5494 (June 2019)

Link shared here for the older copy - 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsC5PgabP0U9gW9A40ugOGmmrJKs?e=eMSFT1 -- 32 Bit June2019

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsC5PgabP0U9gW5qS568fAXTVNre?e=tSUFwY -- 64 Bit June 2019

omooba
Regular Visitor

Hello, 

I'm having the same issue installing Power BI Desktop, tried both the 32 & 64bit version but none throws out any error. I tried on Windows 7 Pro & Windows 10 home, same issue. Both meet the minimum requirements for Power BI and this is the first time i'm installing it. I have tried disabling firewall, command line install but no luck. 

Can you please help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@omooba, My problem was related to the .NET version. I'd to update the .NET version to make the installer work.

Hope that helps!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

Can you confirm you uninstall old version normally? If you direct delete power bi desktop folder files, it may caused the issue to install new versions.

In addition, you can also take a look at system event logs find some detail information of that issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm installing power BI for the first time on this laptop and can confirm that I donot have any older version installed earlier.

Looking at the events log doesn't give any useful information either. Infact there are no application/ security or system events logged that are related to Power BI

Thanks, Gaurav

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-shex-msft ,

I've now also tried to install the software by booting my laptop in safe mode. Unfotunately, it still exits without any trace.

Any other ideas would be appreciated?

Thanks, Gaurav

HI @Anonymous ,

Did these issues only appears on your laptop? Can you confirm your laptop has exceed to the minimum requirement?

desktop get the desktop#minimum requirements

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors