Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FranzMei
Helper I
Helper I

transfer table holiday plan

Hello,

i am struggeling with following issue, i have a  table containg a Person-ID, Start-Date, End-Date and Absence type

which i need to transfer in query-editor, resulting in one row for each absence type and person-ID, for every date between Start-Date and End-Date, so the desired result should look as following:

help_pic.png

please also find pbix sample file

sample file

thanks for your help in advance, kind regards

Franz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @FranzMei

You can add a column wiht a list of all the dates in between and then expand that list like so:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkgtKs7PUzBU0lEyMlDwKs2pVDAyMLQAcY3gXEsg11spVgeu3AgoYGCKIm9ggVs52HQzFHk0bkAosnpjkHmGCo6l6aXFJXALTNAEMLQYmqF4wBDTilgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Person = _t, Startdate = _t, Enddate = _t, #"Absence Type" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Person", type text}, {"Startdate", type date}, {"Enddate", type date}, {"Absence Type", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Dates([Startdate], Number.From([Enddate]-[Startdate])+1, #duration(1,0,0,0))),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom")
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @FranzMei ,

Please check and confirm about your data. You are asking all dates between Start and End Dates but in your desired out put image it is showing only three rows.. But Actually there is nearly one year difference between those two dates. Can you eloberate little more. Because i tried some thing it is giving all the dates between two dates

Thanks & Regards,
B V S S

Hi, thank you for your effort, i already have a solution

kind regards Franz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @FranzMei ,

Can you please share pbix file. Because i also wants to know... I tried that Mquery but my files is not loading it's giving error. So Please share your sample pbix file

Thank you in advance

Hello, i have updated the file with solution, ans also the excel with basic data.

the query with working solution is the working one.

kind regards Franz 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @FranzMei ,

If your datasource is from sql do union operation. so that you can get your output easily

Thanks & Regards,

B V S S

thanks, data source is excel

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Invoking @ImkeF 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @FranzMei

You can add a column wiht a list of all the dates in between and then expand that list like so:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkgtKs7PUzBU0lEyMlDwKs2pVDAyMLQAcY3gXEsg11spVgeu3AgoYGCKIm9ggVs52HQzFHk0bkAosnpjkHmGCo6l6aXFJXALTNAEMLQYmqF4wBDTilgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Person = _t, Startdate = _t, Enddate = _t, #"Absence Type" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Person", type text}, {"Startdate", type date}, {"Enddate", type date}, {"Absence Type", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Dates([Startdate], Number.From([Enddate]-[Startdate])+1, #duration(1,0,0,0))),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom")
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hello Imke, thank you very much, perfect solution again 

kind regards

Franz 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors