Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

transfer report to new organization with older version

Hi,

i have created a report in the latest version of Power BI (December 2019). Now, I would like to transfer this report to a new completely independent organization which still runs the January 2019 version of Power BI. Is there any way to accomplish this without recreating the entire report in the older version?

Since I'm only working as a consultant for the new organization, updating Power BI on short notice is not an option. 

best regards 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You still could use the report in a old version directly. Desktop will show the warning messages while opening it. As the message shown, there are some new features may not be available. So, it is best workaround to suggest your organization to update Power BI.

4.PNG3.PNG

Here are the old versions that you could download.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update-archive

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You still could use the report in a old version directly. Desktop will show the warning messages while opening it. As the message shown, there are some new features may not be available. So, it is best workaround to suggest your organization to update Power BI.

4.PNG3.PNG

Here are the old versions that you could download.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update-archive

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
AiolosZhao
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you get desktop PBI file of the original version? Let's say A -version.

Then you created some visuals in a new version, Let's say B-version.

I hope you didn't create some special visuals that only the latest version has, like the Decomposition tree.

Then I think you just need to open these two files together, then copy all visuals from B to A, using CTRL+C - CTRL+V is fine.

If the dataset between these two files are the same, and you didn't create more measure or column in the front-end and back-end.

I think the visual will show value after you copy to A.

Please try.

Aiolos Zhao

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AiolosZhao

thanks for your reply. At the moment there is only one version of the report - the one I created using the December 2019 release. My client runs the January 2019 release and is not able to open the file. 

Your solution might work if I can download and install the January 2019 release (or older) on my computer to recreate the entire report. However, there seems to be no official source to download older Power BI versions (see here). 

Basically i'm looking for the equivalent in Power BI to the "export for previous version" in Tableau Desktop.

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, I don't need to install the Jan 2019 version, if you can get the file, you can only it using your Dec 2019.

Because I create reports from May to now, and I always use the latest version, it's not a problem, it's compatible.

Please try

Aiolos Zhao

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.