Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

total value in table

I've a simple table with whole number values in the last column (no calculation). I would just like to total these values. But I'm ending up with just the value from one row. 

excel01.JPG

I have the following setting: 

excel02.JPG

Data type for the hours per week is a whole number. How can I solve this? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Luckily I like skiing in Austria and know a bit of German 😉

Can you share your original dataset that is below this visual? There seems to be something wrong going on there. For example, is "Soll Stunden pro Woche" in the same or related table as your "Beginn der Woche" and "Ende der Woche" columns? If not, that would explain why this is happening as it is just returning the total sum of Soll Stunden of that table, unfiltered by the context of the table visual.

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

According to your description, i am confused about how you calculate this column [Hours per week].

And if you want to calculate time gap, please try to use DATEDIFF function.

I create a simple table to test:

131.PNG

Then, create a calculated column:

Hours per week = DATEDIFF('Table'[Start Time],'Table'[End Time],HOUR)

And it shows the correct total:

132.PNG

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I asume this column is not a column but a Measure, is that correct? 
Measures are evaluated for the total row as well. In the table it is evaluated for every filtered context (by End of Week) but when it is evaluated for the Total row it is evaluated for a context not filtered by End of Week (so the whole dataset). This might give suprising results. 

If this is a column, then please share your PBIX as I cannot reproduce this behaviour on my machine. If you want, you can PM me the link if you do not want to share publicly here and I can have a look for you.

EDIT: upon looking closer at your second screenshot I do have to conclude this is indeed a column. However, you are showing an extract from Excel, not from PowerBI? Why is that?

Kind regards

Djerro123

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JarroVGIT The content is in a different language.  It is a column(whole number), not a measure. Could I just create a measure to give me the total?

I tried this but it just gave me the same values: 

Measure = SUMX('table';table[Soll Stunden pro Woche])

Thanks.

excel03.JPG

Luckily I like skiing in Austria and know a bit of German 😉

Can you share your original dataset that is below this visual? There seems to be something wrong going on there. For example, is "Soll Stunden pro Woche" in the same or related table as your "Beginn der Woche" and "Ende der Woche" columns? If not, that would explain why this is happening as it is just returning the total sum of Soll Stunden of that table, unfiltered by the context of the table visual.

Kind regards

Djerro123

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that was the issue. The soll stunden were in a different entity. I've now related the 2 entities and it solved my total issue.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.