Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gckcmc
Resolver I
Resolver I

timeouts for SQL Analysis Services (client side)

I see this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Query-Timeout-on-update/td-p/53459

does anyone know what the code would be for SQL AS entries?  I tried these options, but the syntax isn't recognized.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hmm, that documenation is not very clear on that. When it says "A duration" it means a literal "duration" data type for PowerQuery. You can create one using the #duration( <days>, <hours>, <minutes>, <seconds>) constructor.

So if you wanted a 2 and a half minute timeout you would do the following:

= AnalysisServices.Database("mycompany.com", "DatabaseName", [TypedMeasureColumns=true, Implementation="2.0", CommandTimeout=#duration(0,0,2,30) ])

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

It depends what function you are using to pull the data from SSAS. If you are using AnalysisServices.Database() you should be able to specify the CommandTimeout property (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/analysisservices-database)

So I'm using that interface.  However, no matter what value I choose, I get the "DataSource.Error: AnalysisServices: This function doesn't support the query option 'CommandTimeout' with value XX

= AnalysisServices.Database("mycompany.com", "DatabaseName", [TypedMeasureColumns=true, Implementation="2.0", CommandTimeout=2])

I've used a ton of different values, as the documentation doesn't specify if it's minutes, seconds, ms, or other.  Used with and without quotes as well to confirm.

I'm wondering if the server-side is blocking attempts to override the value?

hmm, that documenation is not very clear on that. When it says "A duration" it means a literal "duration" data type for PowerQuery. You can create one using the #duration( <days>, <hours>, <minutes>, <seconds>) constructor.

So if you wanted a 2 and a half minute timeout you would do the following:

= AnalysisServices.Database("mycompany.com", "DatabaseName", [TypedMeasureColumns=true, Implementation="2.0", CommandTimeout=#duration(0,0,2,30) ])

Thanks!  I'd seen that documentation for non SSAS types, however it wasn't working when I tried it.  There seems to be another format that syntactically is taken, but errors out.  (single number vs. the 4-ple style you list.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.