cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gckcmc Member

timeouts for SQL Analysis Services (client side)

I see this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Query-Timeout-on-update/td-p/53459

does anyone know what the code would be for SQL AS entries?  I tried these options, but the syntax isn't recognized.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: timeouts for SQL Analysis Services (client side)

hmm, that documenation is not very clear on that. When it says "A duration" it means a literal "duration" data type for PowerQuery. You can create one using the #duration( <days>, <hours>, <minutes>, <seconds>) constructor.

So if you wanted a 2 and a half minute timeout you would do the following:

= AnalysisServices.Database("mycompany.com", "DatabaseName", [TypedMeasureColumns=true, Implementation="2.0", CommandTimeout=#duration(0,0,2,30) ])

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

It depends what function you are using to pull the data from SSAS. If you are using AnalysisServices.Database() you should be able to specify the CommandTimeout property (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/analysisservices-database)

gckcmc Member

So I'm using that interface.  However, no matter what value I choose, I get the "DataSource.Error: AnalysisServices: This function doesn't support the query option 'CommandTimeout' with value XX

= AnalysisServices.Database("mycompany.com", "DatabaseName", [TypedMeasureColumns=true, Implementation="2.0", CommandTimeout=2])

I've used a ton of different values, as the documentation doesn't specify if it's minutes, seconds, ms, or other.  Used with and without quotes as well to confirm.

I'm wondering if the server-side is blocking attempts to override the value?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

hmm, that documenation is not very clear on that. When it says "A duration" it means a literal "duration" data type for PowerQuery. You can create one using the #duration( <days>, <hours>, <minutes>, <seconds>) constructor.

So if you wanted a 2 and a half minute timeout you would do the following:

= AnalysisServices.Database("mycompany.com", "DatabaseName", [TypedMeasureColumns=true, Implementation="2.0", CommandTimeout=#duration(0,0,2,30) ])

View solution in original post

gckcmc Member

Thanks!  I'd seen that documentation for non SSAS types, however it wasn't working when I tried it.  There seems to be another format that syntactically is taken, but errors out.  (single number vs. the 4-ple style you list.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in 2020

New Ranks and Rank Icons in 2020

Read the announcement for more information!

New Kudos Given Badges Coming

New Kudos Given Badges Coming

We're rolling out new Kudos Given badges. Find out how many Kudos you've given.

November 2019 Community Highlights

November 2019 Community Highlights

Get an overview of the events and great community content from November.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)