Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lduple4
Regular Visitor

time period over time period charts

I am having trouble building a chart that compares the sales prices for two different time periods.  For example, in excel, I have built a chart that compares the median sales price of homes from the last 12 months to the last 13-24 months.  I would also like to add a feature that shows the percentage change in these two time periods.  Also, I would like to be able to customize the time periods.  Maybe instead of comparing 12-month time periods, I will be able to toggle it to show the median sales price for the last three months compared to the prior 4-6 months.  Finally, I would like this to be automatically updated every time I open power bi.  So when I open the dashboard in four months, it will automatically compare the data from the date that I open the dash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for providing the sample data. That helps a lot with proposing a potential solution.

Here is the general idea how to tackle your expected output with customized measures.  You'll still need to add the formatting.

lbendlin_0-1659039148911.png

and here is the conditional formatting. Note: Only applied to Totals.

lbendlin_1-1659039185443.png

see attached for a boilerplate PBIX.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lduple4 ,

Whether the advice given by @lbendlin  has solved your confusion, if the problem has been solved you can mark the reply for the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly. If not, please point it out.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. I cannot help you without usable sample data.
Please paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services like OneDrive or Google Drive. I cannot use screenshots of your source data.
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided. Screenshots of the expected outcome are ok.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

lbendlin, I am not sure how to post a link to my data in excel.  Can I email you the data? 

Here is a screenshot of what I am looking to accomplish in power bi. However, I would like to be able to have one chart and just edit the dates, that way I can customize the time periods.  

lduple4_0-1658938987893.png

Please paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services like OneDrive or Google Drive. I cannot use screenshots of your source data.

Thank you for providing the sample data. That helps a lot with proposing a potential solution.

Here is the general idea how to tackle your expected output with customized measures.  You'll still need to add the formatting.

lbendlin_0-1659039148911.png

and here is the conditional formatting. Note: Only applied to Totals.

lbendlin_1-1659039185443.png

see attached for a boilerplate PBIX.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.