cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Binway Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

three table join

Hi

I have three tables that I thought were in a standard star schema relationship.

Table_Rel.png

If I create a table in Power BI and drag in fields from the centre table and and one outside table it populates fine.

As soon as I drag in a field from the thrid table I get some relationship errors.

ErrorRet.png

no_rel.png

Not sure why this is in error as it seems to me the relationships are correct

Rels_Crtd.PNG

The cross filter direction has no impact either.

If I create the tables in SQL Server and create a query with the expected relationships it works fine.

Does Power BI have a slightly more complex way of handling multi table joins?

Thanks in Advance.

Binway

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: three table join

Hi @Binway,

You can try to drag unique column to this visual to link the duplicate records, it may fix your issue.
I build some sample data to test, but I can't reproduce your issue, can you please share you pbix file to test?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin Sheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

For learning resources/Release notes, please visit: | |

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

@Binway I can't really tell what you are trying to accomplish here, what is the table and values you are trying to display?

In any case, the model you have isn't a star schema in that your outside tables appear to be the dimensions and the center table the probable fact table. In which case, your outside tables should have the unique records and your internal table be the many side...

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Binway Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thanks Eno1978,

I was only attempting to join the three tables together to produce a list like below.

EgData.PNG

I can join the Acctdata table to either the left or right but not both although this same data in 3 SQL Srvr tables joins fine.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Binway,

You can try to drag unique column to this visual to link the duplicate records, it may fix your issue.
I build some sample data to test, but I can't reproduce your issue, can you please share you pbix file to test?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin Sheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

For learning resources/Release notes, please visit: | |

View solution in original post

Binway Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

My problem was some duplicate values in a table that should have been distinct, so it fixed my issue from that perspective.  So the resolution to this many relationship on either side of a table is some modelling in Power BI, maybe a bridge table or something is what I am detecting.  Luckily I don't have to do this nowSmiley Happy

Thanks

Binway

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 216 members 2,545 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: