Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Djaber_TEFFAHI
Frequent Visitor

the server you are trying to connect to doesn't have any models or you don't have permission to acce

Hi Every one, I'm beginner in SSAS and also Power BI Desktop, so my problem is that I can't access to my data Source (SSAS Source) from Power BI Desktop both installed on a virtual machine in live connection when I tape just the name of server i get the message "the server you are trying to connect to doesn't have any models or you don't have permission to access them" and when i tape the name of the server and the name of database (even if it's optional) i get this message "this data source does not support exploring with a live connection" i have installed the on premise data gateway successfully.

you will find bellow information about my work environment:

-Firewall and proxy are disabled on the virtual machine 

-Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 11.0.5058.0 (standard version).
-Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 11.0.5058.0

Hoping you can help me, Thank you in advance 

Djaber TEFFAHI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey,

this sounds odd,

is your analysis service multidimensional version at least:

SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-ssas-multidimensional)

Currently I'm not aware if there are any restrictions to connect to SSAS Tabular regarding the version number.

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
goflse
Frequent Visitor

There is an alternative possible solution to this issue which solved my problem with tabular models live connection today. Reading this post made me understand that empty SSAS databases might in some cases trigger the same error message. https://shabnamwatson.wordpress.com/2019/09/02/connecting-live-from-power-bi-desktop-to-ssas-generat...

Solution: Go to your SSAS instance and check your databases. Remove unused or empty databases.

Good luck!

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

first, it's not necessary to use a gateway if you want source an ssas database from PBI Desktop.

Are both programs installed on the same VM?
If not is a network connection between both VMs configured?

Is the SSAS database processed?

Is the SQL Server Browser service running?

Install Excel on the same machine where PBID is installed and try to connect with Excel.

Regards
Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hello Mr  TomMartens 

Hey,

this sounds odd,

is your analysis service multidimensional version at least:

SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-ssas-multidimensional)

Currently I'm not aware if there are any restrictions to connect to SSAS Tabular regarding the version number.

Regards

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hello, 

Thank you for your response, absolutely it was a version problem, i upgraded it to ,SQL Server 2012 Entreprise Edition

Thank's for your prestigious help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, It's a bit old post, however; I am having exactly same error. Let me write you in details:

After creating the multidimensional cube I was able to connect with excel but not with Power BI.

With Live connection:

It gives error as stated subject line

connection live.PNG

Import option: 

Even it doesn't work Import option. When I choose Import option I am able to connect and can see the database name but can't see the cube name under the database so not able to choose tables.

Import can connect but can't see table.PNG

Import connection with MDX

This one works.

As I read from the blog, I have checked with version; My SQL server version (12.0.5) which means SQL server 2014 SP2.

Since I was not sure where is the issue, I have created very small cube by using one fact and one dimension by using the same VS and deployed to same SSAS server which works fine with Power BI live connection.

I have tried by changing the SSAS cube database name but did not work really. It's seems to me issue with the cube.

In this situation, I am really wondering what can go wrong with the cube? Your suggestion will be really appreciated.

Hello,

I use SSAS Version 14.0.1016.256 (version installed with Visual studio 2017 " writen in 'about' tab of visual studio)

in SSMS the version writen in th database properties is 11.0.5058.0 like in th picture.

I hope it's the version if not don't hesitate to coorect it to me.

should i change the version ?!

Best regards 

Djaber

Server Analysis Services Version.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.