Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pat_energetics
Advocate II
Advocate II

techniques for identifying fact table source of a blank in a related table

Hi all,

I have a fact table with a many to 1 relationship and have a phontom blank problem in the related table, but I can't seem to be able to identify the source of the blank/s coming from the fact table (Millions of rows)

The problem is similar to other posts where fact table [product] (* -----> 1) product category table [products] .

I think that a new item has been added to the fact table [products] and because it can't find this product in the product category table, a blank is returned when filtering.

Is there a generic technique for flagging new additions to products (where relationship to category is not yet defined) as I would like to investigate the (potentially) new product.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@pat_energetics, To filter out blank values, you can go to Edit Queries -> select the column -> either uncheck null checkbox or use Remove Empty function. 

Filter_Out_Null_Values.png

Now, in Power BI Desktop no option can be used to filter out new added rows. However, you can add one Index column with which to order all records desc to show newly inserted values. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@pat_energetics, To filter out blank values, you can go to Edit Queries -> select the column -> either uncheck null checkbox or use Remove Empty function. 

Filter_Out_Null_Values.png

Now, in Power BI Desktop no option can be used to filter out new added rows. However, you can add one Index column with which to order all records desc to show newly inserted values. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.