Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimmymitra
Advocate I
Advocate I

tabular

I am new to Power BI , just started creating reports and dashboards. 

I have a basic question on the tabular data model in Power BI . 

My question is - Why do we need SSAS tabular model as one of the source if Power BI itself provides the modelling capability (DAX, relationship) etc. Is there any difference between what SSAS tabular support vs what tabular model inbuilt within Power BI 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't claim to know all of the reasons, but the main ones that I use it for is for a combination of Data Security and Performance.

We have a data warehouse set up.  This contains many more data that you can actually bring into Power BI (it errors if you try).  Making use of the tabular model allows us to shortlist the data we wish to include in our project. We are also able to front load a bunch of calculations onto the server whenever it refreshes, rather than overloading the Power BI side.

Lastly, we have users in the business that will want access to sensitive data.  We do wish for them to have some amount of 'self-service' but we cannot allow them access to literally everything.  So we provide them a sanctioned version, then they are able to do whatever they need to do from within the small box of data we have given them access to.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't claim to know all of the reasons, but the main ones that I use it for is for a combination of Data Security and Performance.

We have a data warehouse set up.  This contains many more data that you can actually bring into Power BI (it errors if you try).  Making use of the tabular model allows us to shortlist the data we wish to include in our project. We are also able to front load a bunch of calculations onto the server whenever it refreshes, rather than overloading the Power BI side.

Lastly, we have users in the business that will want access to sensitive data.  We do wish for them to have some amount of 'self-service' but we cannot allow them access to literally everything.  So we provide them a sanctioned version, then they are able to do whatever they need to do from within the small box of data we have given them access to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.