Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

summarizing based on different tables

Hi!

I've been breaking my head about this, I inherited someone else's PBIX file and I'm trying to make a management summary. 

The file has 4 tables:

1 Accountname  (has a 1 to many relationship with the other 3)

2 subject1

3 subject2

4 subject3

Table 2,3 & 4 all have a column containing accountname on which the relationship is based.

Now I have created a healthindicator in table 2, 3 & 4, that is either a calculated column or a measure that gives back a numerical value to be used as a black (4),Red(3),amber(2),green(1) (BRAG) status if for one of the user there is a problem for that subject.

For example: 

For subject 1 there are 3 different measurements, and if measurement one is green, measurement 2 is red, and measurement 3 is red, the indicator for subject1 would give the value 3 for red. 

What I want to achieve is to (distinct) count the total amount of users that have one or more problems in any of the subject tables.

I tried creating a new measure in the Accountname table, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Can someone either pseudocode or point me to the relevant documentation that would help me here?

Edit:

I was trying something like this:

Measure = switch(Maxx(Subject1[:measurement1BRAG]>1,2),Maxx(subject1[:measurement2BRAG]>2,2),RELATED(Maxx(subject2[:Measurement1BRAG]>2,2)))

But that didn't work... 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  I think you can try something like this:

Measure := 
VAR AllIssues = 
	ADDCOLUMNS(
		VALUES(AccountName[AccountName Column])
		,"Sub1Measure1", [:Measurement1 BRAG] // CALCULATE(MAX(Subject1[Measurement 1 column]))
		,"Sub1Measure2", [:Measurement2 BRAG] // CALCULATE(MAX(Subject1[Measurement 2 column]))
		,"Sub2Measure1", [:Measurement1 BRAG] // CALCULATE(MAX(Subject2[Measurement 1 column]))		
		//...etc.	

)

VAR AccountsWithIssues = 
	FILTER(
		SummaryTable
		,[Sub1Measure1] > 2
			|| [Sub1Measure2] > 2
			|| [Sub2Measure1] > 2
			// || ...etc
	)
VAR Result = 
	COUNTROWS(AccountsWithIssues)
RETURN
Result

The goal is the following:

You start with the unique list of AccountNames using VALUES(AccountName_Table[AccountName column])

Use ADDCOLUMNS to create a table with the unique list of Account names, and generate the result of each of the BRAG measures for each individual account.  For BRAG calculations that use MEASURES, just reference the measure.  For BRAG calculations that use CALCULATED COLUMNS, use

CALCULATE( MAX( TableName[BRAG Column Name] ) )

You need the CALCULATE() in there to force context transition.  That will evaluate the MAX() function for only the current Account Name.

Once you generate your table with all of these values, you FILTER() that table down to only the Account names that have at least one of those BRAG columns > 2.

COUNTROWS() will then show you how many accountnames survive that FILTER() criteria.

Hope this helps,

~ Chris H

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  I think you can try something like this:

Measure := 
VAR AllIssues = 
	ADDCOLUMNS(
		VALUES(AccountName[AccountName Column])
		,"Sub1Measure1", [:Measurement1 BRAG] // CALCULATE(MAX(Subject1[Measurement 1 column]))
		,"Sub1Measure2", [:Measurement2 BRAG] // CALCULATE(MAX(Subject1[Measurement 2 column]))
		,"Sub2Measure1", [:Measurement1 BRAG] // CALCULATE(MAX(Subject2[Measurement 1 column]))		
		//...etc.	

)

VAR AccountsWithIssues = 
	FILTER(
		SummaryTable
		,[Sub1Measure1] > 2
			|| [Sub1Measure2] > 2
			|| [Sub2Measure1] > 2
			// || ...etc
	)
VAR Result = 
	COUNTROWS(AccountsWithIssues)
RETURN
Result

The goal is the following:

You start with the unique list of AccountNames using VALUES(AccountName_Table[AccountName column])

Use ADDCOLUMNS to create a table with the unique list of Account names, and generate the result of each of the BRAG measures for each individual account.  For BRAG calculations that use MEASURES, just reference the measure.  For BRAG calculations that use CALCULATED COLUMNS, use

CALCULATE( MAX( TableName[BRAG Column Name] ) )

You need the CALCULATE() in there to force context transition.  That will evaluate the MAX() function for only the current Account Name.

Once you generate your table with all of these values, you FILTER() that table down to only the Account names that have at least one of those BRAG columns > 2.

COUNTROWS() will then show you how many accountnames survive that FILTER() criteria.

Hope this helps,

~ Chris H

Anonymous
Not applicable

That did the trick, and was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.