Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

summarize table and add new columns

I have a tall table: ID Status date 1 1 01-Jan 1 2 02-Jan 2 1 03-Jan 2 2 08-Jan 2 3 11-Jan 2 2 16-Jan 3 1 21-Jan 3 2 26-Jan 3 4 28-Jan 3 5 31-Jan I would like to make a short table, like this (each Status column shows the maximum date where the ID and status as as indicated): ID Status 1 Status 2 Status 3 Status 4 Status 5 current 1 01-Jan 02-Jan 2 2 03-Jan 16-Jan 11-Jan 2 3 21-Jan 26-Jan 28-Jan 31-Jan 5 I tried various combinations in DAX using SUMMARIZE(),SELECTCOLUMNS(),MAX(),: Status Changes = max(SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(Table1,Table1[ID]=1),"Status 1",Table1[date])) as well as searching for similar messages: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Summarize-table-and-add-new-column/m-p/557901/highlight/tru... https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Add-a-new-column-to-a-summarized-table/m-p/202929/highlight... To no avail. Any suggestions are appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @Anonymous

I'm afraid it is difficult achieve in DAX, this has changed table structure. and unless you use use a matrix visual to show the result and do not show current value in visual.

here is the pbix file, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous

Your expected output is a bit messy, and if I understand you correctly, you could try this way as below:

First add a current status column

In Edit Queries, Duplicate the basic table use Group by and merge function like this post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Findin-MAX-from-multiple-columns-in-query-editor/td-p/363299

3.JPG

Second use Pivot column function like below:

Select Status column and then click Transform->Pivot column

4.JPG

Result:

5.JPG

and here is pbix file, please try it.

By the way, you could change another browser eg. IE, It will be well.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love it!! Can this be done in DAX?

hi, @Anonymous

I'm afraid it is difficult achieve in DAX, this has changed table structure. and unless you use use a matrix visual to show the result and do not show current value in visual.

here is the pbix file, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Love it!! Can this be done in DAX?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies for the messy post, the webpage is not letting me input in html, nor is it recognizing new line characters

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.