Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

npatten
Helper II
Helper II

summarize data by cell values

Hi--

Trying to solve a summarization problem. I'm working with survey data for a client. Currently the data output is structed with questions as the column headers, and the cell values (converted from text to numerical) are the responses, something like this: 

Q1Q2Q3Q4Q5

However, my clients are very interested in stacked charts to review survey responses, so I need the results to be transformed into something like this:

Q132
Q241
Q330
Q430
Q530

This does is not seem to be a transpose or unpivot problem (I've tried), but I suspect it's a sophisticated summarization problem. My DAX skills are decent but not amazing. I have created lots of tables using the SUMMARIZE function, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this problem. Any help would be very appreciated. 

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @npatten,

It is indeed a Power Query transformation with Unpivot. See:

Unpivot all columnsUnpivot all columnsShow in a matrix with CountShow in a matrix with Count

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Fernando

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @npatten,

It is indeed a Power Query transformation with Unpivot. See:

Unpivot all columnsUnpivot all columnsShow in a matrix with CountShow in a matrix with Count

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Fernando

Thanks Fernando, it appears I was just over thinking the problem!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.