Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

sum values between two calendar dates

Hi Everyone 🙂 

Background of problem, 

I have a calendar table, however it is not by the financial year I want to use, my companies financial year run from 1st October till the 30th of September the following year (e.g. 1/10/13 - 30/09/14 = FY14). I have managed to get my financial quarters correct by the year. However when I put this data in matrix table it splits up the year unless I specify with the quarter :(. Is it possible to create a new column that will have my financial year (1/10/13 - 30/09/14) as FY14 and the revenue values between this date band will sum, so I'm effectively summing between two dates? Is this possible? or is there a more straightfoward way to create a October to September calendar year? 

Thank you in advance and I hope my explanation above is not as convoluted as it sounds to me 😕 and I hope someone is able to help. 

Kind regards, 

Pangea 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: sum values between two calendar dates

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone 🙂 

Background of problem, 

I have a calendar table, however it is not by the financial year I want to use, my companies financial year run from 1st October till the 30th of September the following year (e.g. 1/10/13 - 30/09/14 = FY14). I have managed to get my financial quarters correct by the year. However when I put this data in matrix table it splits up the year unless I specify with the quarter :(. Is it possible to create a new column that will have my financial year (1/10/13 - 30/09/14) as FY14 and the revenue values between this date band will sum, so I'm effectively summing between two dates? Is this possible? or is there a more straightfoward way to create a October to September calendar year? 

Thank you in advance and I hope my explanation above is not as convoluted as it sounds to me 😕 and I hope someone is able to help. 

Kind regards, 

Pangea 

@Anonymous

Check if you're looking for a calendar table as below?

calendar = 
ADDCOLUMNS (
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR ( "2012-10-01", "2022-09-30" ),
        "FiscalYear", IF ( MONTH ( [Date] ) < 10, YEAR ( [Date] ), YEAR ( [Date] ) + 1 ),
        "FiscalQuarter", SWITCH (
            TRUE (),
            MONTH ( [Date] ) >= 10
                && MONTH ( [Date] ) <= 12, "Q1",
            MONTH ( [Date] ) >= 1
                && MONTH ( [Date] ) <= 3, "Q2",
            MONTH ( [Date] ) >= 4
                && MONTH ( [Date] ) <= 6, "Q3",
            MONTH ( [Date] ) >= 7
                && MONTH ( [Date] ) <= 9, "Q4"
        )
    ),
    "FiscalYearQuarter", [FiscalYear] & "_"
        & [FiscalQuarter]
)

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User IV
Super User IV

So, yes, generally you would have date table that contains all of the information about particular dates such as Month, Year, Fiscal Year, Fiscal Quarter, etc. Like:

Date,Day,Month,Quarter,Year,Fiscal Month,Fiscal Quarter,Fiscal Year

1/10/13,1,10,Q4,2013,1,1,2014

You relate this to your fact table by date and then you can easily sum values within particular fiscal years, etc.

---------------------------------------

Putting square pegs in round holes since 1972.

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Microsoft
Microsoft

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone 🙂 

Background of problem, 

Kind regards, 

Pangea 

@Anonymous

Check if you're looking for a calendar table as below?

calendar = 
ADDCOLUMNS (
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR ( "2012-10-01", "2022-09-30" ),
        "FiscalYear", IF ( MONTH ( [Date] ) < 10, YEAR ( [Date] ), YEAR ( [Date] ) + 1 ),
        "FiscalQuarter", SWITCH (
            TRUE (),
            MONTH ( [Date] ) >= 10
                && MONTH ( [Date] ) <= 12, "Q1",
            MONTH ( [Date] ) >= 1
                && MONTH ( [Date] ) <= 3, "Q2",
            MONTH ( [Date] ) >= 4
                && MONTH ( [Date] ) <= 6, "Q3",
            MONTH ( [Date] ) >= 7
                && MONTH ( [Date] ) <= 9, "Q4"
        )
    ),
    "FiscalYearQuarter", [FiscalYear] & "_"
        & [FiscalQuarter]
)

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Do you need help in Spanish? Check out our new Spanish community section.

MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

We've launched a how-to forum where you can learn about how Power BI integrates with other Power Platform products.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors