Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gaith47
Helper I
Helper I

sum row from selected columns with condition

Hello,

I'am working on a powerbi report based on user input thru Powerapps wich is stored at Dataverse. 
I have multiple projects with multiple tasks where user can input status for the specific task. I want to summerize the different task columns and get the status. So in excel that wolud look something like this:

[IF(CountIF(Column_Names="Red"),"Red",IF(Column_Names="Yellow"),"Yellow",IF(Column_Names="Green"),"Green","Black")

So if one cell is red then return red and so on. Thats because i have alot of tasks and i want to get an quick overview of my projects.

I want to do somthing similar with PowerBI.

This is my Columns and the marked are represent different fases and i want to sumerize the status for the diffrent fases. ex fas0 green, fas1 yellow etc.

columns.PNG

Please tell me what more information i need to provide and if there is something i can clearify.

Tahnks in advanced

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Gaith47,

Please can you try to create a calculated column, using SWITCH(), TRUE() and the OR conditions, something on the lines of this:

SWITCH(
             TRUE(),
                COLUMN1="RED" || COLUMN 2 = "RED" || COLUMN X ="RED, "RED",
                COLUMN1="Yellow" || COLUMN 2 = "Yellow" || COLUMN X ="RED, "Yellow",

BLANK()
)

Since the evalution of the SWITCH() statement stops as soon as the first result is obtained, the rest of the code will not be evaluated and you will get the color based on the values of all the necessary columns.

So if none of the columns have Red, then the conditions for Yellow will be evaluated, so on and so forth, and you can specify a default value if none of the colors are there, which in my example is blank.

I hope I have understood the problem and my solution helps you out and if it does, then please do mark it as the solution and/or Kudo it, so that other can reach the solution faster.

Thank you,

Vishesh Jain

Did I answer your question?
If yes, then please mark my post as a solution!

Thank you,
Vishesh Jain

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Gaith47
Helper I
Helper I

is there any more information i need to provide?

Hi @Gaith47,

Please can you try to create a calculated column, using SWITCH(), TRUE() and the OR conditions, something on the lines of this:

SWITCH(
             TRUE(),
                COLUMN1="RED" || COLUMN 2 = "RED" || COLUMN X ="RED, "RED",
                COLUMN1="Yellow" || COLUMN 2 = "Yellow" || COLUMN X ="RED, "Yellow",

BLANK()
)

Since the evalution of the SWITCH() statement stops as soon as the first result is obtained, the rest of the code will not be evaluated and you will get the color based on the values of all the necessary columns.

So if none of the columns have Red, then the conditions for Yellow will be evaluated, so on and so forth, and you can specify a default value if none of the colors are there, which in my example is blank.

I hope I have understood the problem and my solution helps you out and if it does, then please do mark it as the solution and/or Kudo it, so that other can reach the solution faster.

Thank you,

Vishesh Jain

Did I answer your question?
If yes, then please mark my post as a solution!

Thank you,
Vishesh Jain

Thanks it worked. 

Gaith47
Helper I
Helper I

So i chose to show my dataverse table because it's mor clean. table.PNG

So as you can see i have a row for each department and the status is then presentet under each activity. so what i want to do is to get the overall status for each department with  a condition. So if the there is any red task then the status will be red. And if there is no red then ill check for yellow and so on.

The next step in a diffrent column sumerize for all the different departments for a specific project. is that possible?

Rött=Red
Gult=Yellow

Grönt=Green

Svart=Black

mh2587
Super User
Super User

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Column-Containing-Values/m-p/1557625

This might help you create a calculated column then try coloring measure

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

please see my reply i tride to make it more clear what i want to achive

PowerUserR
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,
I think this would be one way to solve your issue:

Color =
var Variable1 = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('TABLE'[COLUMN]) = "Red", True, False)
var Variable2= IF(SELECTEDVALUE('TABLE'[COLUMN]) = "Yellow", True, False)
var Variable3= IF(SELECTEDVALUE('TABLE'[COLUMN]) = "Green", True, False)

RETURN

SWITCH(
TRUE(),
Variable1 , "Red",
Variable2, "Yellow",
Variable3, "Green")

but this will only work for one column? it dosen't check for all columns right?

That is correct, with this method you would have to make a measure for each column.

Is there a way to do the same thing but for multiple columns?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.