Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

sum of values based on different text in another column - dynamic measure

Hello all,

I am having an issue, which i was thinking would be quite easy to solve but happened to be difficult creating a measure for. I want to create a few measures that specificly segment my different sales channels by a keyword. On a website when you buy a product it can come from Facebook, but also Facebook ref, Facebook int, etc. I would like to create a measure that will filter all traffic coming from "Facebook". If i wanted to get teh value in a filter is quite easy, advance filter and contains facebook, however how could i make this as a measure dynamically, as i would like to add a few of those in a bar chart visual comparing the different channels. 

Sample of the data would look like this:

UsersSource Medium
50000Facebook/ref
40000Facebook.int
235236Ebay.dasf
300Amazon.com
352Facebook,safasga
3500Amazon
2352Ebay

Output i would need the measure to get all users for any facebook mention (in this case 90352), then if i created another measure for the Amazon would be 3800. And potentially i would need one measure that will summarize all the remaining, but i think would be just the difference between the measures created and total. 

Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can try

Facebook =
var _sel = "Facebook"
return
calculate(sum(Table[User]),Filter(all(Table),search(_sel,Table[Source Medium] ,1,0)>0))

OR

Facebook =
var _sel = "Facebook"
return
calculate(sum(Table[User]),Filter((Table),search(_sel,Table[Source Medium] ,1,0)>0))

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

According to your description, please take following steps:

1)Create a slicer table first:

110.PNG

2)Try this measure:

Measure = 
SUMX (
    DISTINCT ( 'Table'[Source Medium] ),
    IF (
        LEFT (
            'Table'[Source Medium],
            LEN ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Slicer Table'[Slicer Value] ) )
        )
            = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Slicer Table'[Slicer Value] )
            && SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Slicer Table'[Slicer Value] ) <> BLANK (),
        CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[Users] ) )
    )
)

When you select one value in slicer, the result shows:

111.PNG

Here is my test pbix file:

pbix 

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Dear Giotto @v-gizhi-msft ,

Thanks for the reply, however i didnt want to create a slicer as what i want to do is compare the values in a bar chart side by side. So what i would need is a distinct measure that will give me the value for each (key term that i am seraching in the source medium column), not a slicer that can go from one to the other, sorry but this is not solving my problem.

Hi,

Please try this calculated column:

Category = 
var t = MinX(ADDCOLUMNS({",","/","."},"Position",FIND([Value],'Table'[Source Medium],1,9999)),[Position])
REturn LEFT([Source Medium],IF(t= 9999,LEN('Table'[Source Medium]),t-1))

Choose this column and [Users] as a clustered bar chart, it shows:

121.PNG

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Dear Giotto @v-gizhi-msft,

Maybe its just me, but where in the solution i am selecting which value to filter? This is displaying everything as if i put source medium column or what does it do?

Category =
var t = MinX(ADDCOLUMNS({",","/","."},"Facebook",FIND([Value],'Traffic Source'[Source / Medium],1,999999)),[Facebook])
REturn LEFT([Source / Medium],IF(t= 999999,LEN('Traffic Source'[Source / Medium]),t-1))
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Try like

measure =
var _sel = allselected(values(Table[Source Medium]))
return
calculate(count(Table[User]),Filter(all(Table),search(_sel,Table[Source Medium] ,1,0)>0))

measure =
var _sel = maxx(allselected(Table),(Table[Source Medium]))
return
calculate(count(Table[User]),Filter(all(Table),search(_sel,Table[Source Medium] ,1,0)>0))

Better you move source medium to a new table and then join it use this kind of filter. Else all will remove all filters

Source = distinct (Table[Source Medium])

Thank you for the quick reply @amitchandak , however in the proposed solution i do not understand how do i filter for say facebook or amazon values which are in the source/medium column? I am trying to select the actual user values for each of the specific terms, not a count of how many times it appears in the source medium column, hope this explains better.

You can try

Facebook =
var _sel = "Facebook"
return
calculate(sum(Table[User]),Filter(all(Table),search(_sel,Table[Source Medium] ,1,0)>0))

OR

Facebook =
var _sel = "Facebook"
return
calculate(sum(Table[User]),Filter((Table),search(_sel,Table[Source Medium] ,1,0)>0))

Exactly, what i needed thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.