Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

sum absolute value totals based on groups

Hello everyone,

How do you sum the total of the absolute difference of sub groups of records?

I'm grouping SKUs by their Group_ID and I want to compare the absolute change between two forecast snapshots at the group.

How I’m calculating the variation

• Unit Change = SUM('Forecast Table 1'[forecast]) - SUM('Forecast Table 2'[forecast])
  • Unit Change Abs = ABS(SUM('Forecast Table 1'[forecast]) - SUM('Forecast Table 2'[forecast]))
  • Unit Change % = [Unit Change]/SUM('Forecast Table 2'[forecast])
  • Below is an example of the results.

Where I’m stuck:

The Unit Change Abs measure is the problem.  It calculates fine for each row in the table view, but the grand total isn't summarizing as I'd like.  The result displays as 41,183,815 (which is ABS(367,859,244 – 326,675,429)).  However I want it to calculate as 41,306,445 (SUM of 500,431 + 61,315 + 40,744,699)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you have for addressing this problem.

pic.png

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead of measure create a new column, something like 

Column_Unit Change = ABS(('Forecast Table 1'[forecast]) - Related('Forecast Table 2'[forecast]))

*assuming both tables are related in mange relationships.

Use this colmn alongwith measures in your matrix and set its aggregation to 'SUM'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead of measure create a new column, something like 

Column_Unit Change = ABS(('Forecast Table 1'[forecast]) - Related('Forecast Table 2'[forecast]))

*assuming both tables are related in mange relationships.

Use this colmn alongwith measures in your matrix and set its aggregation to 'SUM'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks yashmanu0123, although I don't think this will work as they aren't related.  The reason is because I don't want the snapshot date the users selects for the slicer from forecast 1 to filter the snapshot date the user selects from the forecast 2 table.

Forecast table 2 is a copy of table 1 so they both have the same data.  (Columns for both are SKU, Group_ID, Snapshot Date ,Forecast Month, Forecast)

I created a calendar table and SKU table that both forecast tables have relationships with so that I can use both tables in the same table view.

Any other recommendations?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried a similar scenario 2 forecast tables and 1 group/sku table for relationship.

I was able to create column using RELATED function. Maybe I am missing something.

Can you share a snapshot of your data model?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are the key relationships.  There are others I've cropped out for simplicity sake.

I want to be able to filter by snapshot date, business, Group, and time horizon so I have lookup tables for each.

I use the date table to reference the forecast month for forecast 1 and forecast 2, not their snapshot date. 

pic.png

Hi guys, I am facing the same issue. Have you achieved the expected result?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.