Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Drako
Helper I
Helper I

subtracting 2 columns with IF gets me diferent result

Hi,

I have 2 columns. Estimated and Completed. I created a new column that substracts these two. This works fine. I then added a IF statement and the calulations are wrong.

Correct result without IF: 

Estimated-Completed= [CostOriginalEstimate]-[CostCompletedWork]

With IF: 

Estimated-Completed with IF= IF([CostOriginalEstimate]-[CostCompletedWork]>=0,0,[CostOriginalEstimate]-[CostCompletedWork])

I have been reading about the context of the table but still I don't udnertand why a simple IF and substraction doesn't work and how to fix it.

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Drako ,

If it is a calculated column, this is also applied in a different way again due to context and aggregation.

Suppose you have the following values:

cat Cost Value Cost - Value If the cost
A 10 20 -10 -10
A 15 10 5 0
A 20 15 5 0

If you have calculated these values in a table, you can see that the total has the following:

Cost - Value 0

If the cost is -10

This is at the aggression level because when you collect the values you have a sum of individual lines, the cost and value columns do not match the IF Cost.

In the IF you are removing everything that has a value above 0 however in the cost and value columns you are considering all the values so different results.

In this case for the calculation to be correct and return 0 it is necessary to create a measure with the following syntax:

Measure = 
SUMX (
    VALUES ( 'Table'[CAT] ),
    CALCULATE (
        IF (
            SUM ( 'Table'[CostOriginalEstimate] ) - SUM ( 'Table'[CostOriginalEstimate] ) >= 0,
            SUM ( 'Table'[CostOriginalEstimate] ) - SUM ( 'Table'[CostOriginalEstimate] )
        )
    )
)

This should give the expected result in my case 0:

MFelix_0-1605737677558.png

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Drako ,

Has you refer measures are based on context this means that the calculations are made based on the column, filters, rows that you use on your visualizations. Making this on a practic way if you have the following values:

Cat Value

A

B 20
C 30
D 40
E 50

And you want to sum all the values that are greater than 20 and you do the following measure:

Values Above 20 = IF(SUM('Table'[Value]) <= 20 ; 0 ; SUM('Table'[Value]))

The final result is this one:

MFelix_0-1605717952496.png

What is happening is that the calculation is picking up the sum for the all values within context and comparing them to 20 so for CAT A and B the sum is lower or equal to 20 it presents 0 for the rest of the CAT return that value. However when you go to the total what is happening is that the SUM(Table[Value]) is calculating first the sum of all the categories  ( A + B + C + D +E) because the context of this is the full table and returns 150 instead of return 120 that should be the correct result, in this case we need to use a sumx to go over the total if I redo the measure to:

Values Above 20 after =
SUMX (
    VALUES ( 'Table'[Cat] );
    CALCULATE ( IF ( SUM ( 'Table'[Value] ) <= 20; 0; SUM ( 'Table'[Value] ) ) )
)

The final result will be the following:

MFelix_1-1605718391778.png

Has you can see I have overwritten the context of the measure and in the total the value is now correct.

(The formula above is not the best example but is just for example purposes).

Looking at you case you need to chan ge the context of your calculation however the measures that you are calculating have an impact on that calculation alonside with the row values.

I tried to replicate your error but was not abble again because of context.

Can you please share a mockup data or sample of your PBIX file and expected result. You can use a onedrive, google drive, we transfer or similar link to upload your files.

If the information is sensitive please share it trough private message.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix 

I'm actually not using measure but columns that I created in the DAX. Not sure if it also applies here? 
    How can I send you in an easy way  PBIX without all the compelxity of the data and tables in the file. Is their a way to export just the data of the the table and then share this with you.... Sorry I have not shared a PBIX file due to confidenciality...
    I just don't understand why a simple subtract doesn't work... I use TABLEAU with other cusotmers and never have these complexities with Totals and simpel calculations.   😞

Kind Regards

Lucas Sain

Hello @Drako ,

If it is a calculated column, this is also applied in a different way again due to context and aggregation.

Suppose you have the following values:

cat Cost Value Cost - Value If the cost
A 10 20 -10 -10
A 15 10 5 0
A 20 15 5 0

If you have calculated these values in a table, you can see that the total has the following:

Cost - Value 0

If the cost is -10

This is at the aggression level because when you collect the values you have a sum of individual lines, the cost and value columns do not match the IF Cost.

In the IF you are removing everything that has a value above 0 however in the cost and value columns you are considering all the values so different results.

In this case for the calculation to be correct and return 0 it is necessary to create a measure with the following syntax:

Measure = 
SUMX (
    VALUES ( 'Table'[CAT] ),
    CALCULATE (
        IF (
            SUM ( 'Table'[CostOriginalEstimate] ) - SUM ( 'Table'[CostOriginalEstimate] ) >= 0,
            SUM ( 'Table'[CostOriginalEstimate] ) - SUM ( 'Table'[CostOriginalEstimate] )
        )
    )
)

This should give the expected result in my case 0:

MFelix_0-1605737677558.png

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix  Miguel,

Thnaks for all your feedback.  I got it to work. The curious thing I have learned the hard way is that I was doing all this in a calculated column... so it was never working...it was giving these odd results...once I passed this to a measure it worked!!! 

I actually was not able to ge tthe total to sum in my Matrix si I added a little change:

FinancialDeviationActual =
var deviation = sum('table'[CostOriginalEstimate])-sum(table'[CostCompletedWork])
var result =
if(ISFILTERED('table'[Epic Name]),
      SUMx(
      Values('table'[ProjectSK]),
      CALCULATE(if(deviation >=0,0,deviation ) )
  ),
     SUM('table'[CostOriginalEstimate]) - SUM('table'[CostCompletedWork])
)
return result

Thanks!!!!

Hi @Drako

I did not refered that because I forgot since you have 2 levels in the matrix the calculation needs to have that additional syntax glad you were abble to figure it out. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.