Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Leann
Regular Visitor

stucking on creating connection in model

Hi,

I have a data model in power bi desktop, the tables are loaded from ssas server, and it refreshed data well yesterday.

But today when I pulled in more data (400,000 rows to 17,986,280 rows) to ssas server, and click refresh data of the fact table (refresh only one table), it's stucking in "Creating connection in model" 1 hour...(still stucking)

Also, I've exmained the table which has no blank columns. is it normal? 

or any experience to check the problem efficiently?

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Leann,

Do  you choose “Import” or “Connect Live” mode to connect to SSAS database in Power BI Desktop? I would recommend uncheck the following options in Power BI Desktop and then refresh your data model.
1.JPG

If the above error still occurs, please try to re-connect to the SSAS database in Power BI Desktop, pull in columns and rows you need to build report.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50

@Anonymous 
You need to uninstall your current desktop version, then download one of these versions to re-install

August 2021 version of Power BI Desktop - 64-bit:

https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/0/880BCA75-79DD-466A-927D-1ABF1F5454B0/PBIDesktopSetup-2021-08_x64.exe

August 2021 version of Power BI Desktop - 32-bit:
https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/0/880BCA75-79DD-466A-927D-1ABF1F5454B0/PBIDesktopSetup-2021-08.exe

beware of "--comments"

Still no luck after doint that. only difference is mine works and loads but its stopped telling me how many rows are being loaded?

Hi Lyida@v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks a lot for your help. After I disable the features you mentioned plus "import relationship from data source", I can load the table smoothly. 🙂

I found the cause might be the new source of the dimension table contains duplicate rows, it caused the hang on problem.

one more question, if I refresh the data from power bi service, will it check the relationship as well? or is related to what I set in the option power bi desktop? Thanks for your answer.  🙂

Have a nice weekend! 

LeAnn

I have the same problem, I followed the same steps as in your proposed solution, but i'm still having issues refreshing the data.

Can anyone help me?

I cannot refresh my data. Creating connection in model never finishes. See printscreen. Data source settings are adjusted due to changed network name but oke now. It has always worked before.

2020-01-28 11_52_12-Purchasing_spend_and_savings - Power BI Desktop.png

Hi Hypeerchef1969,

I have also not been able to resolve my being stuck on "creating connection in model" using the options in the suggested solution above.

Have you managed to resolve your issue?

I would be grateful to hear from you or anybody else with suggestions as what to try next.

Siggy

Hi again,

I have resolved my issue.

For some reason one of my spreadsheets had unexpectedly added MANY additional blank columns!

After deleting these columns my PowerBI refreshed as usual.

I located and resolved the offending spreadsheet using PowerBI's "Transform data" and reviewing the columns for each "Navigation" step in each data source.

Siggy

Thanks Sgandalf for your feedback.

Since I put my measures into a Measure table, my dataset need more time to refresh locally, but it finish succesfully. 

But my problem is in the Power BI service, when I publish my dataset into a workspace, just after publishing, it is thinking, like refreshing. And after much more time than usual, it crash.

clozano_0-1607610564588.png

with this error: 

clozano_1-1607610643398.png

I check all my tab and no one has colum empty, my model was working perfectly before this measured table.

Few days ago, there were a problem with the gateway, but everything had been updated few days ago with the lastest version, so I get stuck there.

the last refresh fail notification

clozano_0-1607614063902.png

Do somebody has any solution?

thanks in advance,

kind regards

Christophe

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.