Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Leann
Regular Visitor

stucking on creating connection in model

Hi,

I have a data model in power bi desktop, the tables are loaded from ssas server, and it refreshed data well yesterday.

But today when I pulled in more data (400,000 rows to 17,986,280 rows) to ssas server, and click refresh data of the fact table (refresh only one table), it's stucking in "Creating connection in model" 1 hour...(still stucking)

Also, I've exmained the table which has no blank columns. is it normal? 

or any experience to check the problem efficiently?

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Leann,

Do  you choose “Import” or “Connect Live” mode to connect to SSAS database in Power BI Desktop? I would recommend uncheck the following options in Power BI Desktop and then refresh your data model.
1.JPG

If the above error still occurs, please try to re-connect to the SSAS database in Power BI Desktop, pull in columns and rows you need to build report.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50

Update: I hate to say that manually resfreshing doesn't work on every table. 😞

GavinR

When are MS going to admit there is an error with the software and release a bug fix.

That parallel loading is killing the loading and has caused be so much greif since august.

soumi

hello guys , 

Could someone help me please , it has been a week i'm struggling wtih this issue , i haven't found a solution 

i've PBI installed on the virtual machine (VMW) & i'm trying to connect it with a CSV file but when i select my file it shows me the table as well , then i press  "Transform data " , it opens me the power query but when i press" close" the loading phase never ends.

Thanks in advance 

ASMAA

wcarter
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have this same issue, though I think it is not that the data isn't loading for me but that it only shows the Creating Connection message the entire time it is loading data. It seems like some bug or change has resulted in users no longer seeing the number of rows loaded during a refresh and instead only this mesasge for all tables.

Hi @wcarter did you find a fix for this? I have downloaded the latest version of power bi and still issue creating connections in model and no refresh. Can anyone help? @Anonymous @timmay 

I have exactly the same issues - on all my Power BI files for a variety of data sources. It just started in September for some reason.

Everything loads but I cant see the progress of x many rows from x , its a real nuiscance as I cant gauage mcuh longer it has to run - unless I set a timer on my phone. Please fix this

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I believe you may be right. I got the 'Creating Connection' message and the data was loaded into my model. I then checked my model and the connections were not made. Seems like a bug on the message but didn't keep me from loading in data and the load did not take long

Faadiz
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

i tried above also + unchecked "Creating Connection in Model" but its not working?

Its after Septmber update.

Please help. Data Loads into Power Query but when i apply the changes, it is stuck.

Fahd,

Hello Fahd, 

i've the same issue , could you tell me please how did u figure this out 

thank u 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever get this resolved?

timmay
Advocate I
Advocate I

I solved my same issue just FYI for anyone who has tried the above fixes but is still experiencing "Creating connection in model".

I recently moved all my measures into the one measure group and created folers for them.  This means that the old measure group was left behind with no measures in it and they were hidden from view.

these measure groups would give and error on refresh (scroll down on refresh and you can see the error).

On going to the model tab in pbi I could see these measure groups without any measures in them.  I just deleted these and this resolved the issue!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect. That was exactly my problem, I deleted the empty group and problem solved.

Hi not to sure how to do this Tim, can you pm me please?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Leann,

Do  you choose “Import” or “Connect Live” mode to connect to SSAS database in Power BI Desktop? I would recommend uncheck the following options in Power BI Desktop and then refresh your data model.
1.JPG

If the above error still occurs, please try to re-connect to the SSAS database in Power BI Desktop, pull in columns and rows you need to build report.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I had this problem and when I viewed my cache, I noticed it was full. After clearing my cache the data loaded without further trouble. With your pbix navigate to File>Options and Settings>Options>Global>DataLoad>Data Cache Management Options>Clear Cache

This is still not resolved even after October Update.

i tried every thing mentioned in this thread.

I have August Version Installed and it works perfectly fine.

But the Version from Microsoft Store (Oct 2021) still having issues and is stuck at Creating Connection.

Please help! @v-yuezhe-msft 

Hi can you tell me how I download the August version ?

Hello,

Tried the Solution above, still doeswn't work. Stuck at Creating Connection in Model.

This is happening after September2021 update of PowerBI Desktop.

I tried degrading to previous version of Power BI Desktop(August2021) Version. It is fixed now.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

OK so its obviously from the upgrade as it happend to all my files in since September to.. but it still needs fixing. But at least I know now thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am stuck on this as well. Tried following above steps but didn't resolve the issue. I would rather not downgrade my version. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you downgrade the version?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.