Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laskawiec
Frequent Visitor

strange behavior of firstdate / lastdate

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for a solution in time intelligence related calculations. Basically the situation is this. We have a product that is paid for each month(we call it a "flatfee"). There is a set date where the payments start and if the product is no longer in offer there is a set date where the monthly payments stop.

Now I'm trying to calculate the total payout, and for that to work I'm using a metric. The problematic part is if the payment start date is after the selected period (via calendar table slicer).

So let's suppose I set the relative date slicer to Last calendar year (01-Jan-18 to 31-Dec-18).

My formula is | (datediff(tempfirstdate, templastdate, month) +1) * flatfee | and i have problems with the lastdate part.

the lastdate formula is:

templastdate = if(lastdate(All_Rooms[dateFlatFeeStart]) > lastdate('Calendar'[Data]), lastdate(All_days_by_Rooms[dateFlatFeeStart].[Date]), lastdate('Calendar'[Data]))

Now if dateFlatFeeStart > lastdate(calendar), i get 31-Dec-19 AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY!

Please see the table with examples below. I have provided temporary fields in the table showing both lastdate(All_Rooms[dateFlatFeeStart]) and lastdate('Calendar'[Data]) and neither of those dates are what i get as the result of the templastdate metric.

See below table with example problem

Thanks in advance for all your help

Cheers,

Filip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @laskawiec ,

To update your measure as below.

OwnerFlatfeeRevenueNetto = 
SUM ( 'Room data'[FlatFee] )
    * IF (
        LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) < FIRSTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date FlatFeeStart] ),
        BLANK (),
        DATEDIFF (
            IF (
                LASTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date FlatFeeStart] ) > LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
                IF (
                    ISBLANK ( LASTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date Unavailable] ) ),
                    LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
                    LASTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date Unavailable] )
                ),
                IF (
                    FIRSTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) > LASTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date FlatFeeStart] ),
                    FIRSTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
                    LASTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date FlatFeeStart] )
                )
            ),
            IF (
                IF (
                    LASTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date FlatFeeStart].[Date] ),
                    LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
                ),
            ),
            MONTH
        ) + 1
    )

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @laskawiec ,

As the oneline document of LASTDATE function. It Returns the last date in the current context for the specified column of dates. So in your table visual, it will return the last date of the curent row.

BTW, kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @laskawiec ,

To update your measure as below.

OwnerFlatfeeRevenueNetto = 
SUM ( 'Room data'[FlatFee] )
    * IF (
        LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) < FIRSTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date FlatFeeStart] ),
        BLANK (),
        DATEDIFF (
            IF (
                IF (
                    LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
                ),
                IF (
                    FIRSTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) > LASTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date FlatFeeStart] ),
                    FIRSTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
                    LASTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date FlatFeeStart] )
                )
            ),
            IF (
                IF (
                    LASTDATE ( 'Room data'[Date FlatFeeStart].[Date] ),
                    LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
                ),
            ),
            MONTH
        ) + 1
    )

Capture.PNG

Thank you so much Frank

Honestly i thought my formula was complicated as it was and had a suspicion that I might be overcomplicating it. Anyway thanks so much - I've been scratching my head over this for the last few days.

Cheers

Filip

Hi Frank

Thanks for participating in the discussion

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqV4-uym-o-IbUo_h1GCCtqkIZM?e=emk5PM

Here i have created a mockup data sample and a simple model explaining the situation.

Expected result is: OwnerFlatfeeRevenueNetto = flatfee * number of months where the product is active (after DateFlatFeeStart and before DateUnavailable)

eg. if date slicer set to 1/1/2018 - 12/31/2018 all products should have 0 (this doesnt work)

if date slicer set to 1/1/2019 - 9/1/2019 then: (this works properly)

product 1 = 900

product 2 = 450

product 3 = 1400

product 4 = 520

product 5 = 1800

So basically my problem is that the formula doesnt understand what should happen in the past (no payment)

Thanks for your engagement in this topic

F

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.