Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

stacked column chart legend order

I have a stacked column chart with the legend placed on the right:

StackedColumnChart.jpg

As you can see, the columns build up from the bottom, alphabetically by Category.  However, the legend shows the exact opposite order.  I may be missing something simple, but how can I get the stacks and legend to line up in the same order (without turning it into a horizontal stacked bar instead of stacked column)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

That's really a good idea. I'm afraid it's limited for now. I would suggest you vote up these ideas.

custom-order-for-legend-in-stacked-bar-chart

power-bi-ideas/suggestions

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pwright99

Looks like a fix has now been added to Power BI desktop:

pwright99_0-1680776149362.png

jgubler
Advocate III
Advocate III
Swooze
Frequent Visitor

I'm not entirely sure if this is the same issue, but for stacked area charts, the series and legend are in reverse order for no good reason and whenever you re-order the legend the series are always in the reverse order, if this result above didn't work for you either, please upvote my idea to fix this bug and just have them automatically work the way they should without some insane workaround. 

Idea: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Stacked-Area-Chart-Sort-is-reversed-from-what-is-should-be/i... 

Agree 100%. We have been waiting for this fix for very long. Thanks. I do not think its fixed yet.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

We can sort the legend column [Change Reason] in the original table. Then the order will be applied in the visual. Please give it a try.

1. Create a proper order column if you don't have one.

2. Change the sort order by "Sort by column".

3. Done. Please refer to the snapshot below.

stacked_column_chart_legend_order

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft,

Can you please change the Legend position in your example from "top" to "right" and send another screen shot to illustrate that the order of the legend does indeed match the order of the stacked columns?  I'm not trying to change the sort, I'm trying to get the legend and stacked columns to visually agree.

Hi @Anonymous,

That's really a good idea. I'm afraid it's limited for now. I would suggest you vote up these ideas.

custom-order-for-legend-in-stacked-bar-chart

power-bi-ideas/suggestions

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.