Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ayi_discap

sql server data

Just gettging started with PowerBI. I have been an SSRS user for about 10 years.

When I choose SQL Server as a data source, I see that it shows me all my tables, views, and functions. But it does not show me stored procedures. However, I do see that under the Advanced options, I can specify a SQL statement and I assume you can do a stored procedure there.

I am wondering if using a stored procedure is an uncommon way to get data in PowerBI. I am inferring this based on the fact that stored procs didn't show up under a common option, but only the advance option where you have to type it in. Should I be looking to prepare a table data to feed PowerBI, rather than stored procedures?

Based on the few tutorial I saw on PowerBI, I am thinking, working with a table data is a more common way in PowerBI.

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Data can also be queried and calculated with DAX or power query
The choice of import or Direct query depends on the specific needs of your project.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ElenaN
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hello,

Maybe this article can help, about best practices when importing data: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/data-import-best-practices-in-power-bi/

Also, it is advisable to import raw data that will then be cleaned, transformed etc in Power BI (what you would have normally done in SP). So, import raw data in the form of views, for the reasons given in the article above, and afterwards, all the steps you would have done in the SP, you do them using PQ & DAX.

If you import already the data processed in a SP then you would mainly use PBI just as a visualization tool (just like SSRS) but that is not the purpose and the whole capabilities of PBI.

Regards,

ElenaN

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.