Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stangellapally
Frequent Visitor

sql connection time out from power bi desktop

Hello,

I am trying to connect to one my SQL Server from Power BI Desktop to get data.... these days our servers are little slow as we are in some transition process. The work around we are using in SSMS is changing the connection time out properties to 100 secs. So if I try to connect the servers from Power BI desktop, its give me an error message for time out. Is there a place for me to get to properties and change the connection time out in power BI?

Thanks,

Swathi

Tango
13 REPLIES 13
miguelflores
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm also getting the same error. Any update on this? Thanks!

Hi Miguel,

You can review my post (prior to yours) about how to get around this issue. It's a step-by-step guide of how I did it, and I hope it helps you too!

Romans

Getting the same error while same tables update in excel flawlessly. What can I do? 😞

Getting the same error, please let us know if we can modify the connection time-out value in PowerBI desktop application?

I am able to resolve the issue by adding the value in advanced options of edit queries as mentioned in below. Edit Query->Click on Source->Properties and in advanced options mention the value (number of minutes) it can wait to run the query. Please vote if it helps you .

I followed the advice of Sreekanth (the post above) and entered a value of 60 minutes into the advanced options menu and it ended up refreshing the Power BI Desktop file for me. 

I believe the reason I (and a number of others) were facing this issue is because the dataset/file being used is quite big. For example, I was using several views from Microsoft SQL that contained data from January 2015 till November 2016. 

Here is a step by step guide of what I did - I followed Sreekanth's instructions...

1. Have the Power BI Desktop file open and in Report View
  2. Click on the arrow for "Edit Queries" (in the External Data section) 
  3. A dropdown will appear - then click "Data Source Settings"
  4. Data source settings pop-up window will appear
  5. Click on "Change Source..."
  6. Another pop-up will appear 
  7. Click on Advanced Options (a drop-down of sorts will appear within the pop-up)
  8. "Command timeout in minutes (optional)" will be the first option
  9. Enter a value - I chose to enter 60 minutes but feel free to enter any value
  10. Then apply the query changes and wait till the refresh is complete

I hope this helps! 

time-out.JPG

Getting the same error, please let us know if we can modify the connection time-out value in PowerBI desktop application?

Getting the same error, what can we do to avoid? 

pqian
Employee
Employee

Unfortunately there isn't a way to customize the connection timeout (yet). The hardcoded value should be more than 100 seconds. This is a good suggestion though! You should definitely vote for it at the feature request page. I'll also personally track it since I heard about this often enough.

Thanks for the Reply Pqian!

How am I suppose to vote this for Feature request page?

@pqian wrote:

Unfortunately there isn't a way to customize the connection timeout (yet). The hardcoded value should be more than 100 seconds. This is a good suggestion though! You should definitely vote for it at the feature request page. I'll also personally track it since I heard about this often enough.

Tango

Hi there,

I am finding a connection timeout issue with Power BI Desktop while connecting to SQL Server 2016 CTP 2.0. I am trying to get data from AdventureWorks DimProduct and other tables, but it is failing with the below error:

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC erro: [DataSource.Error] Microsoft SQL:Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement. This could be becuause the pre-login handshake filed to the server was unable to respond back in time. The duration spent while attempting to connect to this serve was - [Pre-Login] Initialization=21008;handshake=1"

Any isights to this is much appreciated ?

Cheers,

Anoop

PowerBI error.PNG

This is the error I am getting

Cheers,

Anoop

Hi there,

I am finding a connection timeout issue with Power BI Desktop while connecting to SQL Server 2016 CTP 2.0. I am trying to get data from AdventureWorks DimProduct and other tables, but it is failing with the below error:

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC erro: [DataSource.Error] Microsoft SQL:Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement. This could be becuause the pre-login handshake filed to the server was unable to respond back in time. The duration spent while attempting to connect to this serve was - [Pre-Login] Initialization=21008;handshake=1"

Any isights to this is much appreciated ?

Cheers,

Anoop

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors