Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

osinquinvdm
Advocate II
Advocate II

sorting treemap

How can we control the sort order on a tree map visualization?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

No but they generally follow this pattern - largest values (on the right) to smallest values (on the left)

Tree Maps.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JChouris
Helper I
Helper I

I had this issue. I created a column called steps to order the steps in my procedure 1-14. Then used the steps column in the values section the treemap. This ordered the items according to my steps list. Not sure if this will work for you but it was the only work around i was able to see for fixing my issue. Hope this helps.

JessicaKnieling

I'm missing this possibility, too as we use the treemap as kind of traffic light. To show the status of sales vs target. 

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

No but they generally follow this pattern - largest values (on the right) to smallest values (on the left)

Tree Maps.png

Thanks Sean,  Yes, this is the easiest (or only?) way to do this.  So basically, just reverse the meaning of the values to size the heatmap (sorry Treemap).  

OK. At least I have some sort of explanation to provide to the users 🙂

Hi,

I am looking for the same solution. Do you get any resolution for the same requirement?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @avinash726 , 

Did you ever find a solution for this? Or and alternative? 

I want to use the coloured proportions of a treemap. But the rectangles need to be ordered by the names or numbers of the groups, not by size. 

I know this is probably solved by you (@Caila), but if not and you're still looking for an alternative I did find one...sort of. Basically you'd need to be okay with having the rectangles all the same size, but they do sort!

So in my analysis, I wanted to use the treemap for the fiscal year only to add some color to the report. But, I had different numbers in each fiscal year and so it didn't sort it in year order. To get around that, I used the same field in both the Group and the Values field (group as fiscal year, values as count of fiscal year), and then it sorted it in ascending order. And now mine looks like this:

jwpp4483_0-1649108858459.png

Other BI tools allow sorting of 'Treemaps' known as Heatmaps.  Come on Microsoft!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.