Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gaspi
Regular Visitor

sorting in Line and stacked column chart

Hi,

I have Power BI Desktop connected to SSAS live.
When I display dimension data through  “Table” visualisation, sorting is OK - as set in OLAP dimension.
When I display dimension data through “Line and stacked column chart” (dimension is on “Shared axis”) sorting, witch is set in OLAP dimension is ignored. Is there option how to set sorting "by setting in OLAP" ?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
cpaysinger
Regular Visitor

Hi.

I am working on a simple line graph in power BI. I have pulled in my data, sumed it up, but when I go to graph it the x axis is out of order. For example I have weeks of the year going from 1 to 52. In my data view the data is sorted from this week of the year column from 1 to 52 sequentially, but on the graph the x axis starts with 1 then jumps to 10 then 24 and then 6 etc. It is not in order. I have tried to sort the column but the numbers never align. Any ideas, bene stuck on this for a while now.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @gaspi

Could you find the option  sort by setting in OLAP in the more options ?

Untit2led.png

If you need additional help please share some data sample which can reproduce the scenario, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

Sorting in „More options“ cannot be used, because it is alphabetical sorting but

sorting on dimension in OLAP cube isnt alphabetical.

I will give example There are my data in grid visual:

img1.jpg

Sorting on visual - as you can see -  is not set. Data in grid visual are sorted correctly - as is it

set on dimension in OLAP Cube (the order on dimension is not alphabetical).

Now look at the same data in “Line and stacked column chart” (Sorting in „More options“ isnt used too):

img2.jpg

So problem is that this visual (“Line and stacked column chart”) doesnt respect sorting settings on dimension in cube.

thanks 

🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.