Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rdumont
Frequent Visitor

sort power bi matrix by measure

how can i sort the following matrix by a measure? I have dates as columns and 4 measures, when i try to sort by the Growth vs Prev measure it does not work. If i remove the date column it sorts fine...

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @rdumont ,

When you have a table like yours with a category field (date in your case) on the columns the sorting takes place on the total, not one of the individual columns (July 7th).  If you add the column subtotals in you should see how the sorting is applied, to the total [Growth vs. Prev].

thank you @jdbuchanan71 that explains what it is doing, by extension does that mean it cannot be done at the column level?

Assuming it cannot does this request address it:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13808061-matrix-sort-columns-by-v...

Many thanks!

The suggestion you linked looks like they are talking about nested layers in the columns rather then being able to sort a matrix by a sub-section so I don't think it would fix your problem.

rdumont
Frequent Visitor

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.