Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

majidht
Frequent Visitor

sort date

Hello guys,

I am new to Power BI and I searched the forum but I didn't find the answer to my question so here we go...

I am using power BI to connect to SSAS cube I made. When I use "connect live option", I can see the time hierarchy, year, quarter and month with the proper sorting I created in visual studio. However, when I import the cube to Power BI, I see different sortings. For example, For month I see the members sorted alphabetically but I want it to be sorted by month number(Jan, Feb, Mar...). How do you think I can solve this problem?

Thank you,

Majid

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @majidht

If you are using live connection, then 

in AS you can sort it by Date column in your table.

in my scenario it worked.

I have a table having Date(Short date formart), Month Year(Apr-2017).

I have choosen Month year column and in column options you can see the sort option.

Here you choose the Date column to sort the month year column.

Then your table columns will be sorted accordingly.

Thanks,

Mohan  V

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to set another column as the one which will define sort order for months. See here for details: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-sort-by-column/ (go to Sort using the Sort by Column button section).

majidht
Frequent Visitor

Hello guys,

I am new to Power BI and I searched the forum but I didn't find the answer to my question so here we go...

I am using power BI to connect to SSAS cube I made. When I use "connect live option", I can see the time hierarchy, year, quarter and month with the proper sorting I created in visual studio. However, when I import the cube to Power BI, I see different sortings. For example, For month I see the members sorted alphabetically but I want it to be sorted by month number(Jan, Feb, Mar...). How do you think I can solve this problem?

Thank you,

Majid

@majidht

Hi Majid,

As using "connect live option", maybe you could create a new column in the cube as @Anonymous suggested. Here is a post I think is very helpful. How-to-order-mm-yy-format-based-on-months-and-not-in Add a new column with format "201701", then the order would be good.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.