Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vishal_singh
Frequent Visitor

slicer hierarchy

I have been struggling to create a depenency between slicer, i.e. the the second slicer options displays based on first slicer.

For example: I have data for number of mobile Phones registered for each month starting July 2016 till date.

Now I designed a slicer to select only Year. When I select 2016, it should show me only July to December and if I select 2017, it should show me only January month.

However, this is simple by creating 2 different slicers independent of each other and and can be easily achieved. But I want to put a restriction that only after selecting a year, a user can select month and not vice-versa. 

In my case a user when selects Jan, it shows 2017 in first slicer, which is not desired. So here I want to use slicers and not custom visual Hierarchy slicer. for creating dependency.

Regards,

Vishal Singh

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vishal_singh,

According to your description, you should be able to use the Edit Interactions feature to change the interactions between the Slicers.Smiley Happy

First select the Slicer for Month on the report, then go to Format tab and select Edit Interactions.

i1.PNG

Change the interactions to None for the Slicer of Year.

i2.PNG

Then the two Slicers should work as your expected.

r1.PNG

Regards

Hi,

Thanks, atleast it works but I am facing a new problem here.

In my 2016 data, I have months only from July to December and for 2017 only Jan.

Now when I select 2016 year and December month, I get data as expected. When changing the year to 2017, which should autmoticaly show only Jan in Month slicer, shows Dec and Jan. However, for Dec month the graph is empty and I click Jan to get the data in graph. In you screenshots when you select Year 2017, you get only Jan Month in the Slicer list. It doesnot happens in my case.

Sorry I cannot put my jpg file here. 

Hi @vishal_singh,

I can reproduce the same result as yours on my side too. And this is the default behavior which cannot be changed currently. For more details about this, you can refer to a similar thread here.Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.