Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asad98
Regular Visitor

slicer filtering based on 2 columns

Hi guys any help will be very appreciated, the case is as follows : -

I have 2 tables - Competitor A & Competitor B. Each of them has a column called - "Product Condition" and have a many-to-many relationship with a field called "ref no". Each product has its own reference number and condition and the same product with the same reference and different condition is there on both table.

Currently, I have to use 2 slicers to slice through different product conditions for both the tables to match the condition and the reference number. Please advise if there is a way to do this using one slicer.

Thank you so much! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@asad98 , Create a common dimension product and product conditions or both in one. Join that with both tables and analyze them together

Refer how to create common/bridge table

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
asad98
Regular Visitor

Hi guys, really appreciate your replies. I am attaching some sample data: -

Competitor A : -

Ref number | Condition

1 New

2 Pre-owned

1 Unworn

3 Pre-owned

Competitor B : -

Ref number | Condition

1 New

2 Pre-owned

3 Unworn

4 Pre-owned

Competitor A and B have a many-many relationship with ref number as the key field.

I want to add one slicer which can slice both the tables having values - New, Used, Unworn, also the reference numbers have to be the same in the output. The desired output would be:-

If new was selected :-

Ref number | Condition

1 New ------ (From Competitor A)

1 New ------ (From Competitor B)

If Pre-owned was selected :-

Ref number | Condition

2 Pre-owned ------ (From Competitor A)

2 Pre-owned ------ (From Competitor B)

My use case is to compare prices from 2 competitor websites taking into account the variables that affect the price like the condition would affect the price of any product and then take an average price for that product and compare the pricing of two competitors selling the same product

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@asad98 , Create a common dimension product and product conditions or both in one. Join that with both tables and analyze them together

Refer how to create common/bridge table

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

its probably best to create a 3rd table, that has a unique list of the product conditions.   Join both the tables to the product condition table and then you can use the product condition table to slice them.

its much easier to help if you can actually show sample data.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.