Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wei2
Helper I
Helper I

single selection in slicer

I have multiple slicers in a report.  I want to make "Region" slicer as a single selection, "Name" slicer as a single selection and "Product" slicer as a multple selections.   When I select a "ANZ" from the Region slicer and pick a "John" from the "Name" slicer and then choose multiple products in the "Product" slicer.   However how I can go back to "Region" slicer to choose a different region (lets say "Southeast Asia"  from the Region slicer and pick a different sales name and products for my next search?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MahyarTF
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

As I understand, you have multi-table, with the relation between those,

So when you select a(more) value in one slicer, it means you restricted other related table(s).

you select the Name, so you choose the child's one in your model, then if you want to choose another value, you need to clear the slicer, then choose the new search. 

it is my opinion, not sure if it is useful

MahyarTF_0-1658824030081.png

Mahyartf

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
UrszulaPukalska
Frequent Visitor

If you always want to filter by starting from Region then: select Product slicer, go to Format > Edit interactions and disable filtering on Region slicer, similar thing with Name (Format > Edit interactions and disable filtering for region). This should do the trick. 

Thanks.  How come my region doesn't show the icon which can allow me to disable filtering?  But I can see other filter having the disable icon? 

Wei2_0-1658833494425.png

If region slicer  is selected then the icons won't show, but will show on other slicers.

You select the slicer that should not filter other slicers "If I select something on Product slicer I don't want Region slicer to be filtered" so you select Product slicer end disable filtering on region slicer because you dont want product slicer to interact with region slicer.

Slicers in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Thank you. 

BTW,  I just found out a wierd thing.  I disabled filtering the Region slicer.  Then I select a region from Region slicer and select a sales name from the "Account owner" slicer.  Then I go back to region to select a different region and the sales name that I chose earlier for the region will also show with all other sales names for another Region that I'm going to re-select.  

For example:  I selected Japan first and then selected a sales name "Mami".  Now I'd like to select a different country - "Korea" but Mami who is Japan's sales also show up with the other 2 Korean sales names?  But I only want David and John who are Korean sales show up when I select Korea from the Region slicer.  

Wei2_1-1658877794005.png

Have you found a solution to this problem? I am also facing the same.

It works this way - for single selection it always have to be selected something and PBI keeps the lastest selected item

Wei2
Helper I
Helper I

But after I change to single selection, I don't see this icon for me to clear selections.

Wei2_0-1658829298482.png

If I change to multiple selections, I can see clear selections.  

So there is no way for me to show all items after I click on one radio button?

Wei2_1-1658829414260.png

MahyarTF
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

As I understand, you have multi-table, with the relation between those,

So when you select a(more) value in one slicer, it means you restricted other related table(s).

you select the Name, so you choose the child's one in your model, then if you want to choose another value, you need to clear the slicer, then choose the new search. 

it is my opinion, not sure if it is useful

MahyarTF_0-1658824030081.png

Mahyartf

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.