Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

skowronp
Frequent Visitor

showing distinct values of calculated measure

Hi Community,

Lets say I have table with 100 products. I created measure that for given product returns values from A-D (string value based on product parameters).

e.g. Measure Value = switch(product_parameter; par1; A; par2; B; par3;C; par4;D; blank())

Product_ID     Measure value

1                     A

2                     B

3                     A

4                     D

5                     C

Now I want to do simple table showing count of products group by Measure Value so something like this (table visual with only those two columns):

Measure Value | count

A           30

B           12

C           50

D           8

But I have to do this in direct query mode and instead of above get one row result: 

B     100

How can I calculate distinct values of calculated measure? Seems simple but I stucked.

cheers,

P

6 REPLIES 6
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @skowronp,

Please try to create a calculated column using the formula below. 

Column_category = switch(product_parameter; par1; A; par2; B; par3;C; par4;D; blank())

Then you can create a table visual, select the column_category, and sum(Table[value]) as value level, you will get expected result.

Best Regards,
Angelia

This is exactly how it is done ;(

When I put all products and calculated measure on a table visual the measure is calculated for all products corectly. But If I put only calculated measure and count the measure is calculated only for last product item.

Hi @skowronp,

Please create a calculated column rather than measure as what I said, please download the attachment for more information.

Thanks,
Angelia

Thank You. The only problem is that calculated column doesnt exist in direct quesry mode ;(

Hi @skowronp,

There are some limitations for Direct Query mode. Please create a idea here and Power BI will become better.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.