Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mdavis_ma
Regular Visitor

share button disabled on Power BI desktop version

I have the Power BI desktop version and we are testing it for my company.  I can publish reports to the web, but my Share button underneath the Publish button is disabled.  How can I enable this button so I can share reports?  I watched a "how to" video on sharing reports but the share button does not work for me for some reason.

I tried reloading the app but it is still greyed out.  Any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sean:

Thank you for clearing that up!  I was getting the desktop and web version mixed up.  When I watched the video on sharing I thought it was using the desktop version as the example.  I went back and watched again and realized it was the web version.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

you cannot share reports.  you can only share dashboards.  and only from http://app.powerbi.com .. the only collaborative thing you can do from Power BI Desktop is to Publish your reports in to the service (http://app.powerbi.com)... all other collaboration activities have to be done from the service.

It seems that you cannot "share" reports, period. Is this correct to the best of your knowledge? If you wanted to share a report, you would need to send the .pbix file to another user (even if you have the Pro version)?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mdavis_maIf you are talking about this "Share" under the Publish button

Publish Button.png

That's not really a button.

As you can see on the Home tab the buttons are kind of organized in Groups so this is the Name of the Group

it happens to have only 1 button!

Clipboard | External Data | Insert | View | Relationships | Calculations | Share |

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Sean:

Thank you for clearing that up!  I was getting the desktop and web version mixed up.  When I watched the video on sharing I thought it was using the desktop version as the example.  I went back and watched again and realized it was the web version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.