Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Binway
Helper II
Helper II

shape map slow to render

Hi Folks,

I have a shape map connected to a text file that is 128000 records. I downloaded the map from a govenrment website then put it into https://mapshaper.org/  to simpliyfy it down to 2%. The map renders with suburb boundaries based on the locality in the file, I have measure that i put into the Color Saturation field and a few measure that I put in as tooltips.

Unfortunately the file takes about 6 seconds to render when i change pages and is the same rendering response in the Power BI service.

I went to Options in the PBI desktpop and increased the cache from 4096 to 8000 although task manager indicates Power BI is only using 2000 ram when it is working.

Is there anyway to get the map to render quicker particularly on the web service, is ther an option to increase resources.

Here is a link to the topojson file: Victorian Map file 

Thnaks in Advance

2 REPLIES 2
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Binway ;

You can refer to the following articles, I hope to help you:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/shape-map-chrashes-when-loading-JSON-file/m-p/57321

Or update the powerbi version.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the links - whilst Power BI is not crashing there are some good discussions and examples of using MapShaper etc and simplifying down to .75% - I wnet down to 2% - I'll test this out along with the School Zone map for WA which seems to have similiar compexities to mine.  I assume there is no way to increase the resources in the Power BI web when i publsiuh this report up?

Binway

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.