Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shbjv

shape map chrashes when loading JSON file

I have got a TOPOJSON file created in Map Shaper I load it as custom maps it looks fine, but then POWER crasches and I get the enclosed error message.

I have tried to send the file and the enclosed error message to support without reaction. Any ideas on what to do?

Feedback Type: Frown (Error)

Timestamp: 2016-08-09T12:39:14.9210483Z

Local Time: 2016-08-09T14:39:14.9210483+02:00

Product Version: 2.37.4464.461 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Release: July, 2016

IE Version: 11.0.9600.18163

OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64 da-DK)

CLR Version: 4.5.2 or later [Release Number = 379893]

Workbook Package Info: 1* - da-DK, fastCombine: Disabled.

Working set: 467 MB

Peak Virtual Memory: 3.92 GB

Error Message: We’re sorry, a problem occurred while rendering this report and the application must close.

User ID: 426a6599-a243-43e3-b1ac-e24021ad8fe9

Session ID: cf0ae50e-a498-44fa-8f67-a7d7257e5dc0

Telemetry Enabled: True

Model Default Mode: Import

Snapshot Trace Logs: C:\Users\shbjv\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\FrownSnapShot195020970.zip

Performance Trace Logs: C:\Users\shbjv\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Enabled Preview Features: PBI_allowDrillGrouping PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled PBI_allowBiDiCrossFilterInDirectQuery

Disabled Preview Features: SapBusinessWarehouse PBI_RedShift PBI_Impala

Enabled DirectQuery Options: DirectQuery_Unrestricted

Formulas:

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Your computer's specs should not be an issue. The file was a very high resolution shapefile, and in addition, there was a lot of coastline detail. Try this version, which has been simplified: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pd06z2ptvita8f/KOMMUNE-simplified.json?dl=0

In general, Power BI will have difficulty with high detail, larger topojson files. Your posted JSON file is about 12MB, and this new one is a little over 1MB. I was able to simplify to 0.75% in mapshaper without much noticeable difference at a high-level zoom. See if that works for you.

KOMMUNE.PNG

View solution in original post

I used the Simplify functionality in mapshaper and reduced it to 0.75%. That may have some distortion at a low level, but it did not impact the shapes at a high zoom level.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@shbjv

I was trying to reproduce the crash with TOPOJSON from this Github repository, However the shape map looks good after import and no crash occurs. So would you share the TOPOJSON used in your case?

By the way, I see "Peak Virtual Memory: 3.92 GB" in the error message, usually the memory outage causes application crash. What is your PC OS and is there enough memory?

My OS is Windows 7 and I have 8GB Ram so a peek og 3.92 GB should not be a problem or is it?

I have placed both the JSON file and the files used to create the JSON file in the following folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/peacd0774lb1uuk/AAB7B4e0EC3uDIH2vGgMjoILa?dl=0

Your computer's specs should not be an issue. The file was a very high resolution shapefile, and in addition, there was a lot of coastline detail. Try this version, which has been simplified: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pd06z2ptvita8f/KOMMUNE-simplified.json?dl=0

In general, Power BI will have difficulty with high detail, larger topojson files. Your posted JSON file is about 12MB, and this new one is a little over 1MB. I was able to simplify to 0.75% in mapshaper without much noticeable difference at a high-level zoom. See if that works for you.

KOMMUNE.PNG

It is working perfect, I have a lot of keys, but that should be possible to do something about. What did you do to make it simple? Thanks a lot for your help.

I used the Simplify functionality in mapshaper and reduced it to 0.75%. That may have some distortion at a low level, but it did not impact the shapes at a high zoom level.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.