Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brunoh
Frequent Visitor

selective refresh of the data

Hello

I have a report which vizualizes production trends over 10 years (about 50000 rows in the main database)

My data are automatically refreshed daily in an excel file on a Sharepoint, and the PowerBi report gets data from this excel file.

It works ok, but refreshing 50000 rows in the excel file, then 50000 rows in PowerBi is quite lengthy, and useless, as all the historical data do not change.

I would like to split the data into a fixed historical table for which no refresh would be needed, and a recent table which would be refreshed daily, but would be much lighter.

For this I would need to tell PowerBI which table does need a refresh, and which does not need it.

Is there a way to make a selective refresh of data ?

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, in powerquery "Queries" right click in the "old" table, and uncheck "include in report refresh", like below.

Screenshot_13.png

if it solve please mark as solved and give me your positive feedback.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @brunoh,

Based on my research, you could use the incremental refresh function to meet your requirements.

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It is interesting, but I understand this feature is still in development, and only available with PowerBI Premium

The other solution proposed https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/selective-refresh-of-the-data/td-p/556768/jump-to/first-unr...

is simple and works well (although it obliges to split the data into 2 tables, then merge them in the query)

Yes, in powerquery "Queries" right click in the "old" table, and uncheck "include in report refresh", like below.

Screenshot_13.png

if it solve please mark as solved and give me your positive feedback.

Yes this solution fits my need. It will save considerable time in the data refresh.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.