Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Qianru221
Helper II
Helper II

scatter plot with date on the x-axis

Hi all,

I plotted a graph of price versus date to show price changes across time using line chart. However I would like to only show the price as single dots i.e. to remove the lines connecting them. How would I be able to achieve that?

I have tried with scatter chart, but the date on the axis is counted. Therefore the result is now what I have expected. Anybody have an idea on how to present the price versus date in a scatter plot form?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I tried using a dummy data..

Keep the Date hierarcy selected..

Under X-Axis, Concatenate-Off (toggle)

Hope it works

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
san_jois
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

Go to formatinng of the line chart

Under options, find X-Axis

Then Select the Type as Categorical

Scroll below to find Show marker and move the toggle to 'on' position

Increase the size of the bubble..you can choose the shape of the marker as well as the size and colour

Scroll up to see Data colours and choose the data colour as white..(Pls keep the background same as white, else select the data colour same as the background)

Thats it..

Hope it helps

Hi

Many thanks for the help! It works.

However initially the x-axis is set as per month (since there are many price points per month and I averaged for each month, so for each month there is only one price point). After adjusting the x axis to categorical, every single price point shows up...so the x axis is extremely long now....

Hi,

I am not sure if you have prepared a different sequential date table and connected your date from data with that. This helps because you can then use this date from sequential date table in all your plots.

Based on the level of drill down, the date table will have categories displayed on X axis

It would start with a year then move to Quarter-Month-Week and Day

Automatically, your data, which may be daily will get summed or averaged (based on the measure you choose during plotting)

On the other hand, if you have already connected, then just drilling up should solve your issue

Hi,

My data contains several years of price information therefore when I drill down to month, it only displays from Jan to Dec. Would I desired is from e.g. 2014 Jan to 2018 Dec, every month there is an average price point of all the products sold during that month.

Hi,

I tried using a dummy data..

Keep the Date hierarcy selected..

Under X-Axis, Concatenate-Off (toggle)

Hope it works

Ok,

I think you can then try this..

Under Fields-Axis-Date--Select Date instead of Date Hierarchy

Rest of the settings remaining the same as per my earlier message

You can also have slicers of Year and month if you want to select for specific period

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.