Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

same table, several queries

Coming at this from a database design perspective.  I am accustomed to having the table as the fundamental record set, and then make a series of queries each with a descriptive name....and they all co-exist.

In Power BI I with a table, Addresses, with 1000+ records and about 6 fields 

I made a query to create a StateCount field so now Query 1 there are 50 records with 2 fields, State and StateCount field - so far so good - this is used to create a Map visual of address per state.

Now I want to make another query of the table, Addresses, for Property Type count - same idea - 2 fields, State and PropertyTypeCount.  There are 3 property type so assuming all 3 in each state this query is going to have 150 records....

My question is: where is the fundamental Addresses table now?  When I look at it all I see is the first query of 2 columns.  Does one need to dupe the fundamental table repeatedly to create a starting point for each query?  Have relooked thru the guided learning and am not seeing this high level approach discussed so thought I would ask advice. 

Possibly I am just not understanding the user interface but if one wants to make say 5 different queries off the same table how does one approach that efficiently?

www.CahabaData.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@CahabaData

In this scenario, did you import only one Address table into Power BI desktop, and then do modifications or create calculated table based on that table?

If so, please duplicate existing Address table for each query, then do shape and comine data on duplicated ones. You can just "Copy Table" and paste it in "Enter Data".

Capture222.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@CahabaData

In this scenario, did you import only one Address table into Power BI desktop, and then do modifications or create calculated table based on that table?

If so, please duplicate existing Address table for each query, then do shape and comine data on duplicated ones. You can just "Copy Table" and paste it in "Enter Data".

Capture222.PNG

Regards,

thank you for the reply.  It answers the fundamental question as to the difference between a database design versus Power BI. 

As per my first post in a database 1 table exists forever and you make as many queries as you wish.  With Power BI the query redefines the starting table permanently and so one must duplicate the table for each query.

I discovered that one can also duplicate the query itself - then undo some of the steps - and create new steps as a way to make a similar query fairly easily.

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.