Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ghaston
Helper I
Helper I

rolling average by half hour

hi 
i'm using power query to connect with a SQL base that refeshes every 5 min.
I have a column named "Date_Heure" in the " Date/time " form. 
I have a column named "Arche-Total_Entres" that i want to average for each line ( ligne 11, ligne 12, ligne 13, ligne 14 and ligne 16 in "Ligne" Column. 
Knowing that i'm using Direct Query, how can i run the average of "Arche-Total_Entres" column every half hour ?? 
sd.PNG
please help 

16 REPLIES 16
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ghaston,

Have you created the column? If you refresh the report, all the columns will be refreshed automatically. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft
i have no problem with refreshing my Dashboard. 
I'm using Direct Query, so my model refeshes automatically, and for every 5mn, a new line is added to my data.  
I juste want to calculate the average of ""Arche-Total_Entres" all the 30 minutes. 

Hi @Ghaston,

You can create a measure. What is exactly the "all the 30 minutes" and "every 30 minutes"? Is it the latest 30 minutes? Maybe you can try this formula that calculates the average of the latest 30 minutes.

Measure =
VAR maxTime =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table1'[Date_Heure] ), ALL ( 'Table1' ) )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGE ( Table1[Arche-Total_Entres] ),
        FILTER (
            'Table1',
            'Table1'[Date_Heure] <= maxTime
                && 'Table1'[Date_Heure]
                    >= maxTime - TIME ( 0, 30, 0 )
        )
    )

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-jiascu-msft

thanks for helping me. But i'm not trying to calculate the average for the last 30 mn.
So here is what i mean by "every 30 mn" : 
here is my data : gg.PNG

as u can see, every 5min, i get a new ligne in the table. But i need to make a graph with the average per 30mn. 
So in the exemple bellow, i need to make the average for the data with the red line (30mn), and another average for the date with blue line (30mn), and so on.
g.PNG
Without average, i end up with a graph with so much irrugularity as the one on bellow. I made an average per hour.

Now i want to make the average per 30mn.
Hope i was clear this time, and sorry for waisting your time
Hope you can help me out with this. 

Hi @Ghaston,

I'm afraid we can't do it like that. Because we can't get the latest time due to the limits of Direct Query. How about every half an hour based on actual time? 

1. Create a calculated column.

Column =
IF (
    TIMEVALUE ( 'exampledata'[Date_Heure] ) > TIME ( HOUR ( [Date_Heure] ), 30, 0 ),
    DATEVALUE ( [Date_Heure] ) + TIME ( HOUR ( [Date_Heure] ), 30, 0 ),
    DATEVALUE ( [Date_Heure] ) + TIME ( HOUR ( [Date_Heure] ), 0, 0 )
)

2. Put the column in the X-axis.

rolling_average_by_half_hour

Best Regards,

Dale

hi @v-jiascu-msft

Seems like a good idea. 
But infortunately, i get an error when i create the column. gg.PNG
gg.PNG

Hi @Ghaston,

Can you click "Voir les details" and paste the details here?

Best Regards,

Dale

hi @v-jiascu-msft

Here is the details : 

g.PNG

it says : 
Cannot load the data for this visual : 
Converting the data type from "varchar" to "datetime" has created an off-limit value. The exception was triggered by the IDaraReader inferace. 

Hi @Ghaston,

Can you share your file? You can upload it to the cloud drive like OneDirve, GoogleDrive and then paste the download link here.

Best Regards,

Dale

here is the link to my file : 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lHOTBAjdz5kurSLWpA5RoEydrD6NbKw5
But i'm nit sure if it willwork for your, because, i said before i'm using Direct Query. So the data are not imported into Power BI Desktop

Hi @Ghaston,

That can't work. What's the type of column [Date_Heure]? Seems it isn't a DateTime type. Please check out. The error message is clear. We should check the data type and its values which should be a normal time. For example, 25: 30: 00 isn't a time. 

Best Regards,

Dale

gjh.PNG
it's a date/time type

Well, i was trying to recreate the Dashbord in Import mode, so i can share it with you. And then, your code worked perfectly on the new Dashboard (import mode). 
I don't know, why it didn't work on my Direct Query model, even though i'm using the same source file, and the data has the same type...

Hi @Ghaston,

Did you make it work? Do you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop?

Best Regards,
Dale

Hi @Ghaston,

The formula worked well in my test. Please refer to the snapshot below. Do you have any other details you can share?

rolling_average_by_half_hour2

Best Regards,

Dale

Hey, did you refresh a dashboard before? there can be problem with columns creating.
had same problem while was working on my site - speed reading exercises

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors