Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbiuser1234
Helper I
Helper I

right to left matrix

Hello 

Is there any solution yet to align right to left a matrix?

If not, Is there a way to add a table group header (like in SSRS) to a table visualization?

I understand that in power bi, a group header can only be done with a matrix visualization - but I need to show it right to left.

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well this isn't perfect, but it's the closest I have come.

1) In Power Query, create the layout of the matrix using:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fdCxCoAwDATQf8ncweYi6OwnOJYiFcRREB38e6GDFMI5JnkcR1ISlSBTubb9OJ+4zPf6De1BckgCRtXRnlE4OjYbZQW00oFRdTR2zOI3FqwBKjVG1VEwCkcjo+Zo+y1jXU1yfgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Amount = _t, #"Sub-Category" = _t, Category = _t]),
    OrignalTable = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Amount", Int64.Type}, {"Sub-Category", type text}, {"Category", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(OrignalTable,{"Category"}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Removed Other Columns"),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Duplicates", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    CatIndex = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Index",{{"Index", "CatIndex"}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(CatIndex, {"Category"}, OrignalTable, {"Category"}, "CatIndex.1", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded CatIndex.1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "CatIndex.1", {"Sub-Category"}, {"Sub-Category"}),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Expanded CatIndex.1", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index1", "Custom", each [CatIndex] + [Index]/1000),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Index"}),
    SubCatIndex = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "SubCatIndex"}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(SubCatIndex,{"Sub-Category", "SubCatIndex"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns1",{{"SubCatIndex", "CatIndex"}, {"Sub-Category", "Category"}}),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Renamed Columns", #"CatIndex"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Appended Query",{{"CatIndex", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

which gets you 

structure.JPG

Create an active relationship between Matrix Category and the orginal table Category. Create an inactive relationship between Matrix Category and the original table SubCategory.

model.JPG

Then these measures:

Sum Value = SUM(OrigTable[Amount])
Amount =
VAR SubCat =
    CALCULATE (
        [Sum Value],
        USERELATIONSHIP ( 'Matrix Structure'[Category], OrigTable[Sub-Category] )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        ISINSCOPE ( 'Matrix Structure'[Category] ),
        [Sum Value] + SubCat,
        "Total "
            & FORMAT ( DIVIDE ( [Sum Value] + SubCat, 2 ), "#,##0" )
    )

Create a table visual with the field from the matrix table & the [Amount] measure, add conditional formatting and you get:

Table.JPG

Result.JPG

Slicer.gif

I've attached the sample PBIX file

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well this isn't perfect, but it's the closest I have come.

1) In Power Query, create the layout of the matrix using:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fdCxCoAwDATQf8ncweYi6OwnOJYiFcRREB38e6GDFMI5JnkcR1ISlSBTubb9OJ+4zPf6De1BckgCRtXRnlE4OjYbZQW00oFRdTR2zOI3FqwBKjVG1VEwCkcjo+Zo+y1jXU1yfgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Amount = _t, #"Sub-Category" = _t, Category = _t]),
    OrignalTable = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Amount", Int64.Type}, {"Sub-Category", type text}, {"Category", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(OrignalTable,{"Category"}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Removed Other Columns"),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Duplicates", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    CatIndex = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Index",{{"Index", "CatIndex"}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(CatIndex, {"Category"}, OrignalTable, {"Category"}, "CatIndex.1", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded CatIndex.1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "CatIndex.1", {"Sub-Category"}, {"Sub-Category"}),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Expanded CatIndex.1", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index1", "Custom", each [CatIndex] + [Index]/1000),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Index"}),
    SubCatIndex = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "SubCatIndex"}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(SubCatIndex,{"Sub-Category", "SubCatIndex"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns1",{{"SubCatIndex", "CatIndex"}, {"Sub-Category", "Category"}}),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Renamed Columns", #"CatIndex"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Appended Query",{{"CatIndex", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

which gets you 

structure.JPG

Create an active relationship between Matrix Category and the orginal table Category. Create an inactive relationship between Matrix Category and the original table SubCategory.

model.JPG

Then these measures:

Sum Value = SUM(OrigTable[Amount])
Amount =
VAR SubCat =
    CALCULATE (
        [Sum Value],
        USERELATIONSHIP ( 'Matrix Structure'[Category], OrigTable[Sub-Category] )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        ISINSCOPE ( 'Matrix Structure'[Category] ),
        [Sum Value] + SubCat,
        "Total "
            & FORMAT ( DIVIDE ( [Sum Value] + SubCat, 2 ), "#,##0" )
    )

Create a table visual with the field from the matrix table & the [Amount] measure, add conditional formatting and you get:

Table.JPG

Result.JPG

Slicer.gif

I've attached the sample PBIX file

Paul on Linkedin.

Wow! thank you very much! I'm new to power bi so I'll try to figure out each step:) where can I see the code of the power query in the pbix file? Thanks again

You access Power Query through the option "Transform data" in the ribbon

PQ1.gif

Paul on Linkedin.

pbiuser1234
Helper I
Helper I

Hi

To the right it's how the data is set in the table,

To the left is how I want to show it - Exactly how it's shown in a matrix, only right to left. 

Thank you

Capture.JPG

Hi  @pbiuser1234 ,

Put category and subcategory to the Rows field and you will see:

vkellymsft_0-1632995839004.png

Check my .pbix  file attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

Hi,

I need the "amount" column on the left, not right.

Exacty as shown in the example I attached.

Thanks

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you post a depiction of what you are trying to show?

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.