Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rbwidener
Frequent Visitor

report level filter

Hi! I have a report using a data set of survey responses from surveys administered on several dates.  In order to unpivot some of the responses, I made a copy of the original data table in the data tab, and the survey date column was not edited. So one of my visuals is from the copied data table and two visuals are from the original data table. Since I "copied" the data table, it doesn't appear in the relationships tab. I want to do a report-level filter by survey date, but one of my visuals (from the copied data table) is not responding to the filter.

Can anyone please help me? I'm not sure if I'm applying the filtering incorrectly or if I need to do something different with data modeling. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, glad I'm not going crazy!!

So, if you copied it in Query Editor or did your Copy table and then an Enter Data query and pasted it, it's a real table in your data model now. You should be able to find it in Relationships tab, you might have to scroll over to find it. Once you do that, you should be able to relate it to whatever it needs related to in order to make your report filter work.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sorry, how exactly did you copy the table in the data tab? Unless I am mistaken, the "Copy table" option in the data tab is for copying the data from a table into something like Excel, not actually making a copy of the table in Power BI Desktop. So, I am not sure how you would have created a visual from that. Now, you could go into Query Editor and make a copy of a query and that would result in a duplicate table in your data model.

Latest book!:

Hi smoupre! I right-clicked on the table (right) in the data tab (left):

2017-12-28_9-48-40.png

OK, right, to the best of my knowledge, all that does is copy the contents of the table into the clipboard, it does not actually make a copy of the table in the data model, so you couldn't have created a visual from a copy of the data because no copy of the data actually exists in the data model.

Unless I'm just way wrong on this.

I guess what I am saying is that I think that your issue lies somewhere else regarding your report filter rather than the copied table thing. Can you provide more information on your visuals and where they are getting their data?

Latest book!:

Here is a screenshot of one page of my report:

2017-12-28_10-02-23.png

The two visuals on the left come from one table and are simple counts and the large visual comes from the "copy" data table - which I must have copied differently because I just tried to replicate how I copied it previously and was only able to copy to the clip board (you're absolutely correct). I must have copied the table in the Edit Queries window. The reason I even did the "copy table" is that unpivoting one of the survey responses impaced my other visual counts. For example, the top left visual shows the number of respondents by department; once I unpivoted a group of the survey responses, the number of respondents increased by 6 (the number of responses in the group), which is why I was thinking this must be a data modeling issue rather than a report-level filter issue.

I really appreciate your feedback/assistance!

OK, glad I'm not going crazy!!

So, if you copied it in Query Editor or did your Copy table and then an Enter Data query and pasted it, it's a real table in your data model now. You should be able to find it in Relationships tab, you might have to scroll over to find it. Once you do that, you should be able to relate it to whatever it needs related to in order to make your report filter work.

Latest book!:

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.