Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DanC
Frequent Visitor

report file corrupt or invalid

Hi

I seem to be getting regular problems with my PBI in terms that i keep getting the message "Unable to open document", "(file location) is corrupt or invalid report file"

I am trying to track back what has caused this, literally at the start of the week the i installed the November 2017 update for PBI which it seems i only seem to be getting the problems since then, other than that, i have had to force close PBI and other programmes on my pc because of screen freeze issues, does force close of Power BI cause its main location file to be corrupt or invalid?

Or any other issues that are common with PBI that may cause this? and a possible solution?

Regards

Dan

11 REPLIES 11
gerenciajanda

This way is ok for me!!! Thanls a lot. 

Esta forma de hacerlo es la única que me ha permitido recuperar el archivo. 

Muchas gracias

Baska
Regular Visitor

open the online version of the report in browser, download as a .pbix file and replace the desktop corrupted report with this new report downloaded from browser. worked for me 😉

great, thank you very much!!!

This way is ok for me!!! Thanls a lot. 

Esta forma de hacerlo es la única que me ha permitido recuperar el archivo. 

Muchas gracias

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was it for me!

DC682189

Good Morning All,

I spent an hour this morning trying to figure how to resolve this issue. Option A (below) did not work for me because I accidently deleted the recovery file.

Option A: (most common resolution)

1. Open Power BI Desktop instead of double-clicking the the corrupted pbix file's location
  2. Click File -> Open -> Select the corrupted pbix file
  3. You will see a yellow ribbon saying “open in autorecovery mode..” Click on it and the file will open with the version before it got corrupted.

Option B:

1. Open another pbix file on your computer.
    • a) If file does not open properly, uninstall PowerBI Desktop and reinstall
    • b) If file does open, proceed to Option C

Option C:

1. Open file explorer
  2. Locate the corrupted pbix file's location
  3. Right click the file -> click "Restore previous version"
  4. Select your version (typically, most recent), and open. 
  5. Do what you need and overwrite the file in its original location.

Choose version and restoreChoose version and restoreRestore Previous VersionRestore Previous Version

Hi,

I tried to follow up as you've advised, but there's nothing under Restore Previous Version. 

yelouafi
Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem ,producing when i copy a file from the server to my local machine,what i did is updating power bi in the server and in my local machine,after that i created a new saved file and copied to my machine and it worked 

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DanC,

In my test, all previous pbix files work fine after I update desktop to the latest version (November 2017). In your scenario, does this issue happen to all your previous pbix files or just a specific one? 

Rather than directly double clicking .pbix file, open Power BI Desktop, click File -> Open -> Select the corrupted pbix file. If you can see a yellow ribbon saying “open in autorecovery mode..” Click on it and the file will be opened with the version before it got corrupted.

If you still cannot open it, please copy your .pbix file under a different file path, then, try to open it.

Besides, please try smoupre's suggestion here to see whether it works for you.

You siad "i have had to force close PBI and other programmes on my pc because of screen freeze issues" since update, please uninstall and re-install the latest release for a test.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any solution to this issue? I am getting this error of " corrupt or invalid file". Can someone guide me with that?

Thanks for your reply, i have managed to go back in time and restore the file to a previous version before it went corrupt, that seemed to work however i believe this might be a re-ocurring issue as its already happened twice this week. If it happens again i will definately try both your possible solutions and thankyou for the replies

Regards

Dan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.