Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryanb11
Helper III
Helper III

remove some number sequences from open text column

I have a text field in a table where I need to substitute phone numbers where applicable.

For example the text field could have:
Call me on 08588812885
Call me on 07525812845
I need assitance please call me
Last tried in 2019

desired results:

remove some number sequences from open text column
Call me on
Call me on
I need assitance please call me
Last tried in 2019

Sometimes a phone number will be in the text but not always and the phone number entered will always be different. Number sequences such as years need not be removed.
The below custom column removes all numbers, but doesnt consider the length of the number, so 2019 gets remove but I want this kept, just 10 or 11 digit numbers removed, any ideas to amend the below formula?

= Text.Combine(List.RemoveItems(Text.ToList([ColumnName]),["0".."9"]))
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ryanb11 ,
sorry, I'm very busy currently. Have adjusted the code below.

It currently only works on a 1-column-table. Please let me know if you need it differently.

let
  Source = Rels,
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.Split([Feedback], " ")),
  #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(
      #"Added Custom", 
      "Custom.1", 
      each Text.Combine(
          List.Select(
              [Custom], 
              (l) => [
                        ListOfCharacters = Text.ToList(l), 
                        Result = not (List.Count(ListOfCharacters) >= 10
                                    and List.AllTrue(
                                            List.Transform(ListOfCharacters, (x) => List.Contains({"0".."9"}, x))
                                    )
                    )][Result]
            ), " ")
    )
in
  #"Added Custom1"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ryanb11 Can the phone numbers be anywhere in the text? Can they have different formats like 555-555-5555 or (555)-555-5555? Do you want DAX or Power Query or either?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Decklerthe phone numbers will always be in the format in the examples i sent, so 11 digits, but i want to account for a mistake in writing so want to try and include 1o digits if possible. the phone numbers can appear anywhere in the text, at the beginning middle or end. My power query column nearly works so may be best to amend that? but a solution any way is very welcome!

@ImkeF @edhans got any Power Query tricks for this?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @ryanb11 ,

this is a bit of  a mouthful, but it works:

let
  Source = #table(
      {"Column1"}, 
      List.Zip(
          {{
              "Call me on 08588812885", 
              "Call me on 07525812845", 
              "I need assitance please call me", 
              "Last tried in 2019"
            }}
        )
    ),
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.Split([Column1], " ")),
      #"Added Custom", 
      "Custom.1", 
      each Text.Combine(
          List.Select(
              [Custom], 
              (l) => [
                                    and List.AllTrue(
                                    )
                    )][Result]
            ), " ")
    )
in
  #"Added Custom1"

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

are stored in a column, so from your query i have removed the hard coded text with the column.

This gave me an error saying it cannot convert the values in the column to type list

@ImkeFthanks for your help so far, any ideas on this?

Hi @ryanb11 ,

not sure I understand, but you have to replace everything in the first step "Source" by a reference to your existing table.

Otherwise please paste used code or picture so I understand what's going on.

Hi @ImkeF 

I am having trouble changing the source to my source table, I am looking at what needs to be changed but I keep getting errors.

It my source table is called 'Rels' and the source column with the open text including phone numbers is 'Feedback', would you be able to write the code to include this?

Thanks,

Hi @ryanb11 ,
sorry, I'm very busy currently. Have adjusted the code below.

It currently only works on a 1-column-table. Please let me know if you need it differently.

let
  Source = Rels,
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.Split([Feedback], " ")),
      #"Added Custom", 
      "Custom.1", 
      each Text.Combine(
          List.Select(
              [Custom], 
              (l) => [
                                    and List.AllTrue(
                                    )
                    )][Result]
            ), " ")
    )
in
  #"Added Custom1"

@ImkeFreally need your help here would appreciate it if you can assist

Hi @ryanb11,

I think ImkeF 's formulas should help for your scenario, did these code works on your side now?

If they still not work, it will be helpful if you provide some dummy data you worked on. We can directly test coding formula on them. (notice: please not attach sensitive data into the sample records)

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.