Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coan7
Post Patron
Post Patron

relationship tables explaining

Hi, 

I was wondering about the following relationship between 2 or more tables.
Example: I have 2 tables that has the following relationship-->

Coan7_0-1630062674185.png

In table B have a calculated column that shows the max value for each of the Item in table A and it shows the correct max value from table A for the Items :

Coan7_1-1630062747387.png

How is the max value from table A is calculated when there is only a 1 directional relationship/filter from table B to A, is there a hidden relationship back from A to B, ie values from A goes to B???

Could someone explain this to me?????????????

4 REPLIES 4
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Coan7 ,

If you want to learn more details ,refer the following articles.It is very detailed and useful, and I hope it will help you.

bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax

Bi-directional relationship guidance

Best Regards

Lucien

FarhanAhmed
Super User
Super User

Actually when you put CALCULATE in expression it changes the Evaluation context of the expression. It changes it to rows that it belongs to otherwise if you put MAX(Column) only without specifying the CALCULATE the whole table will be evaluated in calculated column.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Great!

Still, how does the max value flow from table A to B when there is no relationship flowing from A to B ---> with just a simple calculate(max(table A(value)). At least with the MAXX function it is easier to understand that it is iterating through table A to find max value.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Coan7, Ideally in table B you should do like

new column =

maxx(relatedtable(TableA), TableA[Value])

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! Connect on Linkedin

Learn Power BI Beginners !! Advance Power BI Concepts !! Power BI For Tableau User !! Learn Power BI in Hindi !!
Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.