Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"do not summarize" attribute from SSAS database not honored in Power BI desktop

I have 2017 SSAS database that I have created via VS2019.  When I direct connect to it via Power BI Desktop (August, 2019) the column attribute of Summarize By/Do Not Summarize is not being honored when add column to a visual.  When I select to column in the table and then select the Modelling tab, it shows the correct Default Summarization of "Do Not Summarize".  However when add it to a visual, it summarizes the field.  I can overide the summarization, so I have a workaround, but I don't think this behavior is correct.Annotation 2019-09-06 102906.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I solved my own "problem". The model on server was not current with VS2019 model.  I rebuilt database and settings were correct/as I expected. When I refreshed model in Power BI Desktop, all was ok.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tvaishnav
Helper IV
Helper IV

When you say you are connected directly to SSAS, I am assuming that you are using live connection.

In live connection, Power BI just acts as a visual layer over the SSAS data model. All the options including "Default Summarization" in modeling tab are greyed out (read unusable) except "New Measure" option. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I solved my own "problem". The model on server was not current with VS2019 model.  I rebuilt database and settings were correct/as I expected. When I refreshed model in Power BI Desktop, all was ok.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.